Garden Gnomes and statues

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I have seen many gardens with statues and themes going on and gnomes are very popular. I saw a garden that had a full theme of gnomes and fairies, mushrooms and lights to make it come alive at night. It did look a little crazy but at the same time it looks amazing! What do you think?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I don't like garden statues. In my opinion gnomes, mushrooms and colorful lights are extremely tacky. Plants are beautiful the way they are, there is no need to decorate them.
The only thing I like are bird baths, mirrors and tiny fairy doors attached to trees.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do like statues in the garden they do not have to be gnomes. A reflective ball is nice, the flags are interesting also. I like the rocks and boulders more.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't really care for extra garden decorations. I have enough human-made stuff in my life, the garden is a good escape from it. It's a reminder that natural beauty is more important.

I do have a small windmill, but I don't really like it anymore. I think it takes away from my garden more than it adds to it. I also have solar lights outlining the paths so I know where to walk when I'm walking to my fire pit. Beyond that, it's just the plants. That's what a garden should be.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Plants are for sure the most important thing in any garden In my opinion. But I do love the old statues and gnomes too. Over the years. many poor old homeless gnomes Have found sanctuary in my garden. I save many poor old worn objects that have lost there new shine they once had , An old windmill that became home this year to a robins nest (Which reminds me I better do a few repairs to that before it falls apart, as its fun watching the birds working the old mill :)). lots of things disappear as the flowers grow and are lost till winter, when it all dies back and the old objects become visible again till spring gets going. They often act as supports for plants. There is not a lot that does not have some kind of other uses besides its visual one

Reaction score
I really love the idea of garden statues. I've always loved fairies and mushroom pieces. The idea of making a fantasy garden really appeals to me. I've always enjoyed the look of it. I'm not a big fan of Garden Gnomes, but I'm not opposed to the little guys. They're cute in their own way.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
2014-2015 132.JPG
This Guy was trying to escape from my garden not long ago:LOL: It seems Garden Gnomes can climb from time to time at night :ninja:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Thank goodness pink flamingos are indigenous to my area, er, they must be because two have been hanging out in my front garden. In the summer they hide behind the hostas and other plants but they come out and play in the snow :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would love to have a fairy garden theme, but not Gnomes! Somehow, gnomes scare me and it probably was some movies that I saw when I was little.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think it's a lot of fun having gnomes and fairies in a garden. I don't have any in mine but it always looks like fun when I see gardens with them. They don't in anyway overshadow the beauty contributed by the actual plants and flowers. They make a garden come alive and seem mysterious as you try to imagine the story being played out by the little action figures. Every day or night you could come up with your own story as to what your little creatures are to. Try to be creative and you could have loads of fun with these decorations.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I suppose it depends on the setting, planting and lighting. Rosemary looks totally different at different times of year, but seems quite happy where she is.

She doesn't seem to get any further in reading her book! :D

P1100240.JPG

P1200237.JPG

P1100375.JPG

P1200590.JPG

P1230343.JPG

P1160554.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes Rosemary looks quite beautiful and at home in that garden. That perpetual smile on her face seems to be borne of admiration of those lovely plants and flowers all around. They seem to have hes her attention so much @Bootsy , which has perhaps made her no longer interested in reading that bland book.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Those statues are very beautiful. I love decorating my garden with statues and glass balls. I don't like adding too many as I feel it takes away from the plants.
I also would love to add a chair and a table to my garden.

Ask a Question