Failed Holly Bushes

Reaction score
Country
United States
About ten years ago we put four Ilex/Steed Japanese Holly bushes in our backyard. They haven't been pruned in years, because we were going for a wild / country look as an antidote to our actual location in New York City. Three of them were lined up, and in time grew large enough to fulfill a second mission, which was to screen off a patio area.
Over the last few years, the three in a row became unwell. Branches lost their leaves. The problem (seemingly) accelerated over the last two years. Now, virtuallty all of the branches are bare and seem dead. I can't imagine that they can be saved. Interestingly, the other Holly, which sits about ten feet away is mostly OK.

Questions:
What lessons we should keep in mind when we try again?
What would you suggest we replace them with?
Do you think trying again with the same is a bad idea?
We'd like something dense enough (in time) to function as a screen. Evergreen would be a bonus. Not boxwood because my wife can't stand their smell!
In the pictures you'll see English Ivy - I know there are a lot of good reasons to hate it. So far it's seemed worth it for the way it hides my neighbor's hideous cinder block wall...
Most of the leaves you see in the pictures are on small trees behind the Holly bushes.
Thank you in advance for looking and for any thoughts you care to share.

Failed Holly, side view.JPG

Failed Holly 1.JPG

Here's the nearby, surviving Holly:

Surviving Holly.JPG

Ask a Question