expensive!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
They need to figure out a way to make good foods cheaper for us all.
"THEY need to figure it out". "They" could care less to figure it out. "WE" need to figure it out. Do research figure out alternatives for growing foods, shipping food etc. I know that the government "pays" a farmer not to use land so to not produce too much stuff. I know that a food store will throw out produce with hardly anything on it wrong. One of my food stores sell slightly old produce, and its still fine, its a little blemished, but "really" its OK. We pay for the perfect fruit and veggies sitting there, so the blemished ones can be thrown out because WE the snobby Americans want it perfect. There are layers and layers of different rules and regulation, shipping costs, growing costs, taxes on property, paying the laborers, store cost, clerks to pay for at the store, the electric at the store, all which collide to what we have to pay for the final product.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Fruit and veggies are usually decently priced here though I noticed the price in certain things going up all year. I know that certain fruits and veggies cost more during certain seasons, but that is about it. That is unfortunate that they are becoming expensive where you live. This is why I want a big yard so I can have my own and share with people!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Verity, you'll find there is an added benefit to having an area where you can plant to feed your family and share--those who can't garden due to lack of space or physical ability really, really appreciate fresh produce and will thank you many times!
We are blessed with lots of room and we plant much more than we could ever eat, can, freeze, or dry. The excess goes to a local food pantry, and sometimes I am asked what I have in my baskets as I'm going inside. As soon as the produce is weighed, folks want a couple of cucumbers, a squash, "I'd sure like some of those beans", and the smiles are worth the small effort put into growing those vegetables.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Around here if it's a particularity cold or wet year one can expect price increases. Cold and frost drive up Citrus and wet can drive up ground produce like lettuce.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have not really noticed a huge increase in the cost of fruit or vegetables, the cost of gas is down and that is good. The weather has not been too bad which would also cause the cost of items to increase when whole crops are wiped out during bad weather.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
bieng in n. maine fruits and veg. are very expensive as everything is shipped up here. farmers markets in summer are very popular and a lot of people can and freeze their veg and can applesauce from grown and wild trees. but fresh in the winter is very expensive! most can't afford to eat fruit and veg. like they should up here unless they grow and preserve their own. I'm jealous of you southern gardeners!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is almost better to go with a meatless diet even though some veggies and fruits are expensive. You can offset the cost of fresh produce by buying less meat, and this will make you healthier. Another thing you can do is take advantage of it when produce is cheap and in season and buy some to stick in the freezer. Many vegetables and fruits can be frozento later cook with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
i love fresh vegatables but like my meat also. so I'm getting chickens this spring and letting them graze in my yard. i won't have to feed them as much if they forage for most of their food.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You know what, I really haven't been paying much attention to if fruits and vegetables have become more costlier. I usually try to buy things when they are in season and very cheap or I shop on the fruit and veggie cart that has the throw away fruit. The fruit that might be coming to the end of its grocery store life--it isn't soft or rotten, it's just being sold at a lower price because it isn't new anymore.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
berries and any erries family are not affordable at all here and in season you can get cherries for a decent price but I have found that prices have shot up immensely here because if the lack of rain in our country I presume. It is a luxury item to have fruit and vegetables, who thought that would happen?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
with the lack of rain in our country at the moment fruit and vegetable prices have increased immensely, is anyone else feeling this or can you still afford to buy?
What country are you in.

Some fruits seem to have always been expensive. Cherries are always high in price and have been only a special type of purpose.

I must say that thinking about costs has made me greatly appreciate our cherry tree. Last year it produced tons of delicious fruit. By the way, I am in the USA, West Virginia.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
bieng in n. maine fruits and veg. are very expensive as everything is shipped up here. farmers markets in summer are very popular and a lot of people can and freeze their veg and can applesauce from grown and wild trees. but fresh in the winter is very expensive! most can't afford to eat fruit and veg. like they should up here unless they grow and preserve their own. I'm jealous of you southern gardeners!
In your climate, apples and pears will keep fresh for six months.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
In your climate, apples and pears will keep fresh for six months.
only a small amount of apple cultivars will grow up here. its too cold for pears. there are lots of wild apples around the old farmland. i just go around and pick what i need to make applesauce for the winter. last year i took my 1/2 acre of lawn and planted autumn olive goumi, elderberry, blueberry, blackberry, black currant, honey berry, seaberry, serviceberry, and hazelnuts! i already had a large patch of raspberries. the price of fruits and nuts can do what they want now. if i freeze what i don't use i shouldn't need to buy fruits again! ;) my fiances not happy about loosing her lawn but she sees the benefits. can't see wasting good land by growing grass! also putting in 3 4' by 12 beds this spring for veggies. with all this , my mushroom beds and chickens we shouldn't have to buy much for food anymore. better to grow yourself than have to worry what kind of chemicals and contaminates are in store bought food.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
For us, it's the fact that the bigger businesses demand "perfect" fruits. When the farmers send there produce the hotels etc refuse them because they aren't blemish free etc. So they have to resort to stop growing them and having to deal with a sudden certain kinds of fruits. :( This has made the availability of some fruits so rare and when they are available they are super expensive. Prices fluctuate so much!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Some farmers in this country still manage to sell the 'imperfect' fruits and vegetables instead of just dumping them. There are shops (not the big supermarkets) and markets that are happy to take them and sell them cheaper. Although some of the supermarkets have been experimenting with selling them in a separate area under headings such as 'not so pretty' or 'ugly'.

Ask a Question