The most expensive kale seeds I've ever seen!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was doing a little research on Kai-Lan, or chinese broccoli, because I'm starting some seeds today. Chuck sent me some seeds in the mail! :)

Anyways...I found these kale seeds. I wanted to buy some because it's a really pretty variety, but when I saw the price I changed my mind! :LOL:

http://www.evergreenseeds.com/flowerkale.html
First of all what home/backyard gardener would ever need 1000 kale seeds. They average about 7 to 8 thousand seeds per ounce or between 200-300 per gram. Most kale seed packets that I've seen are about 1/2 gram or 100 seeds and cost about $2 so 200 seeds would cost $4 and 1000 seeds would cost $20. Kale is good but planting you whole back yard with it is a tad extreme unless you really really like kale.

Ornamental kale is more expensive than regular edible kale and edible ornamental kale is more expensive than regular ornamental kale but it still sells for about $5 per packet a little more expensive than your $33 per thousand. The edible ornamental or flowering kale is not near as good to eat as regular kale

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Thanks, ACSAPA, I saw them and I'm getting some :)

Chuck, no, I don't want to plant my whole back yard with it, just a few for color. I wouldn't have room for my other veggies, and they all deserve some room in my garden :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, ACSAPA, I saw them and I'm getting some :)

Chuck, no, I don't want to plant my whole back yard with it, just a few for color. I wouldn't have room for my other veggies, and they all deserve some room in my garden :D
Growing them for a little color is great, not so much for taste though

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I am lucky I found this thread. I have been looking for kale seeds for a long time now. I now know where to get them! Can seeds be shipped internationally?

Reaction score
WHAT A PRICE!!!!!!!!!!!

I am speechless!

Besides, these are far more attractive, in my opinion, and they are less than $7 a pack! https://www.harrisseeds.com/storefront/s-342-ornamental-kale.aspx

This summer I munched on a little ornamental kale, and it tasted just fine. I have noticed that some varieties are milder than others, so maybe I just got a more tasty variety of ornamental kale than some.

Believe it or not, this is also ornamental kale!

20623.jpg

Reaction score
WHAT A PRICE!!!!!!!!!!!

I am speechless!

Besides, these are far more attractive, in my opinion, and they are less than $7 a pack! https://www.harrisseeds.com/storefront/s-342-ornamental-kale.aspx

This summer I munched on a little ornamental kale, and it tasted just fine. I have noticed that some varieties are milder than others, so maybe I just got a more tasty variety of ornamental kale than some.

Believe it or not, this is also ornamental kale!

20623.jpg
Wow, Kale roses! They are gorgeous! I grew kale for the first time this year because everyone is talking about them. Not an ornamental version. I like nearly all vegies but kale is just not for me, except, I'm considering this. Not to eat, for the beauty!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Some companies will ship overseas and some not. Most on Ebay will.

Oh I managed to find some on Ebay. They were very cheap at around $1 for each pack. Sadly, the shipping rate is very expensive! There is also no guarantee that it will reach me. I think I will just plant other leafy greens that are available here. I really want kale though. :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh I managed to find some on Ebay. They were very cheap at around $1 for each pack. Sadly, the shipping rate is very expensive! There is also no guarantee that it will reach me. I think I will just plant other leafy greens that are available here. I really want kale though. :(
Well, I am not so sure you would have much success anyway. Kale is a brassacia and they like a cool climate to do well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
People from all over the world sell seeds on eBay. I haven't had any problems with eBay seeds yet.

My problem with buying organic seeds on eBay is a trust problem. They might not be organic. Here's an example. I saw these "organic" blue strawberry seeds. I had never heard of blue strawberries, so I looked them up, and they're genetically modified. But this guy says they're organic, and lots of people will think they are.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100PCS-Natu...667?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c438efd1b

Ask a Question