expensive!!

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
with the lack of rain in our country at the moment fruit and vegetable prices have increased immensely, is anyone else feeling this or can you still afford to buy?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Sorry to hear that. :(

We don't have any problems over here. Fruit and veg are reasonably cheap and, at this time of year, are imported from countries that have an abundance. Prices stay fairly constant all year.

During the growing season we grow most of our own.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
In my country, fruits like cherries, and almost all kinds of berries are too expensive :S. So yeah, I feel you.

Reaction score
Over here most vegetables and fruits are kind of expensive, but the berries are definitely the more expensive ones. So expensive that I think mostly the people who can afford to spend a little extra on groceries can afford.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I live in the Pacific Northwest and I find that a lot of fruits are expensive here as well. What I don't understand is that apples are our state fruit and you can spend up to $2 a pound for them, but you can buy bananas for like $0.69 a pound and they have to be delivered to the state. It make no sense!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Here, where I live, most fruits aren't very expensive. Today, I bought a big bag of delicious tangerines for less than $2:D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to here about your lack of rain Tasha, that is bound to push up prices. I hope you get rain soon

I live in the Pacific Northwest and I find that a lot of fruits are expensive here as well. What I don't understand is that apples are our state fruit and you can spend up to $2 a pound for them, but you can buy bananas for like $0.69 a pound and they have to be delivered to the state. It make no sense!
You got me thinking Rosyrain as it is a similar a case here in the UK Bananas are Cheaper than Apples Pound for Pound.......... I think there are a couple of good reasons that contribute to that...........

1... would probably be labour costs of picking Apples in a UK Orchard Are vary high compared to what I'd imagine you would get picking banana's in a equatorial Banana Plantation

2... I'd say would be the price of land to grow apples in the UK is vary high. Compared to Banana plantation land & there is always Pressure on the growers to dig up there trees and develop the land for housing or other more productive crops. thousands of Brambly Apples tree's are being dug up in uk right now as people don't Uses Cooking Apples like they used to. It is sad to see :(

On a Brighter Note I do believe Raspberry's are on the UP:)

I'd like to see More help for home grown food worldwide..... with the imported crops being taxed higher & the money razed being distributed to local growers to help local economy & home produce

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The cause of the lack of rain in your country is the strong El Nino.
Unfortunately, this can cause food price rises all over the World, and can cause real hardship where money is really tight.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to here about your lack of rain Tasha, that is bound to push up prices. I hope you get rain soon

You got me thinking Rosyrain as it is a similar a case here in the UK Bananas are Cheaper than Apples Pound for Pound.......... I think there are a couple of good reasons that contribute to that...........

1... would probably be labour costs of picking Apples in a UK Orchard Are vary high compared to what I'd imagine you would get picking banana's in a equatorial Banana Plantation

2... I'd say would be the price of land to grow apples in the UK is vary high. Compared to Banana plantation land & there is always Pressure on the growers to dig up there trees and develop the land for housing or other more productive crops. thousands of Brambly Apples tree's are being dug up in uk right now as people don't Uses Cooking Apples like they used to. It is sad to see :(

On a Brighter Note I do believe Raspberry's are on the UP:)

I'd like to see More help for home grown food worldwide..... with the imported crops being taxed higher & the money razed being distributed to local growers to help local economy & home produce
I don't want to make it more difficult for third world farmers to sell their cash crop to us, so, although I can sympathise with your sentiment, I cannot agree with your solution.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
I see your point Bees, but I'm sure the Brit's can afford to pay a few extra pence on bananas that taste as good as scallops :) maybe we should ship back apples and pears, Scallops to them at the price they sell us Bananas?..... what if the cash crop was used to feed the local community? in stead of us,half way round the world?.... then all that fossil fuel pushing bananas Would be saved and Then we would cut our pollution & greenhouse gases as we would then eat more pears apples plums & so on.....I tend to buy most of my food from local growers eggs from local friends with chickens and sausages and bacon from local butchers. If I buy mangos or banana's that is a real treat but I prefer to support my own community. The third world has grown weaker with every extra pound that we send them. They are losing the knowhow of how to survive & so are we

I can buy 2 jars of imported honey at a local food store for less than one local jar(Its Wrong) !!! It as if the further it has to come to our door the less we are prepeared to pay & the more the world has to suffer for it;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
So the answer to expensive food is taxes which will make food more expensive?

Here in Europe (EU) we have the disgraceful "Common Agricultural Policy", which is a mixture of subsidies (taxes), import levies, quotas, and payments for non-production, to keep surpluses down, and prices artificially high.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Agricultural_Policy

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Fruits and vegetables are also out of season here because the rains are still to come. But we cannot avoid buying vegetables and fruits. What I do when I go to the market is to buy the cheap vegetables particularly the native vegetables like squash, okra, water hyacinth, string beans. Imported varieties like broccoli, cauliflower and asparagus are definitely expensive at this time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The news is always talking about how Americans need to eat more healthy, but when I spend around $5 or $6 for about 5 apples, that is just not going to be feasible for me to be able to feed my family and be happy while doing it. They need to figure out a way to make good foods cheaper for us all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I suppose it depends on what you think is 'expensive' and how it compares to other foodstuffs.

Some countries have fairly cheap meats whereas they're quite expensive over here. When I was in Argentina and Uruguay a couple of years ago I could get a very big meal (well cooked and tasty (y)) that included meats and veg for a fraction of the price that I would pay to buy just the meat in a shop over here.

Regular supermarkets and butchers are selling good steak at $25 per lb and fillet steak at over $30 per lb! Cut price supermarkets are selling good steak at about £11 per lb.

Vegetables are reasonably cheap, for it being winter, where I have just bought a very large cauliflower for $1.50.

Fruit varies considerably in price. Apples are $1.50 for 5, pears are also quite reasonable, easy peel clementines are $4.50 for 10 and soft fruits are quite expensive - but I just bought some beautiful cherries, on special offer, at $7.50 per lb.

Ask a Question