Dogs and plants

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I have a pet in my house, a dog called Kira.

She is pure love, but she is very playful, and I fear that if I left her alone at home she could start biting the plants and making a disaster. She hasn't done nothing yet, because I haven't planted yet, but if there is something with the same situation all advices will be welcomed x)

Thanks ^__^

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a pet in my house, a dog called Kira.

She is pure love, but she is very playful, and I fear that if I left her alone at home she could start biting the plants and making a disaster. She hasn't done nothing yet, because I haven't planted yet, but if there is something with the same situation all advices will be welcomed x)

Thanks ^__^
You could make up a little batch of hot pepper tea and spray the plants and you could sprinkle some hot pepper flakes on the soil. After the first bite or sniff she will probably find something else to get into

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I have a dog too, a Yorkshire Terrier. He ignores all my plants:)
If you worry, put your flower pots on a windowsill or on a table, where Kira can't reach them. Dogs are unpredictable, so it's better not to take any risk.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I agree with keeping plants at a higher location. Since dogs aren't nearly as flexible or as nosey like cats, just keeping them elevated is more than enough to prevent your dog from getting into the plants. If you have bigger plants like trees and stuff then yeah the pepper method will work, but generally most dogs aren't all too interested in messing with plants.

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Well, she is a very playful animal, but first I will test her, maybe she ignores them, we will see.

Putting them into higher places is a good idea, and I was thinking about making somekind of greenhouse or something like that.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dogs are very inquisitive. Sniffing, smelling, and usually tasting almost anything in sight are natural behaviors for a dog. For that reason, we commonly see dogs ingest items that are not their food and at times can be very dangerous poisons.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I had this dog named Shane but unfortunately, she died. She had this attitude of biting or chewing off my plants and it made me really sad so what I did to prevent this from happening is I make sure that she's surely just inside the house with all the doors closed whenever I leave or whenever she has no company. Also, if you want, you can take your dog with you. It surely is a great bonding moment.

Ask a Question