Dogs destroying lawn

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 3 dogs and, out of the blue, they decided to start digging holes on my lawn.

This are not neglected animals and we walk them twice a day, all the solutions that I see regarding this talk about bored dogs, this is not the case here.

I can't walk the dogs 4 times a day and play with much more so I was looking for other solutions, something like lawn tiles so I can at least keep a portion of grass and not simply replace the whole lawn with concrete floor (it is a backyard).

The hole problem is not only about looks, you could break a leg if you step into one while walking.

I would like to know a little more about lawn tiles then, please share your experiences.

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
I don't have any dogs, but the neighbor's dogs are always messing up with my lawn, I am not against animals and their freedom, but playing in the wrong lawn is not acceptable, for real. I've ha dbad experiences with neighbors due to thsi kind of issue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10-B
Country
United States
Some garden centers have a chemical that you can spray on your lawn or plants that doesn't harm the dogs, but does smell bad to them. I've heard of using a mixture of fresh garlic or cayenne pepper, dish soap, and water as a spray, but I've never tested this myself. You might also want to see if you have other animals living in your backyard, such as rats or gophers. The dogs might smell them and get excited over it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 3 dogs and, out of the blue, they decided to start digging holes on my lawn.

This are not neglected animals and we walk them twice a day, all the solutions that I see regarding this talk about bored dogs, this is not the case here.

I can't walk the dogs 4 times a day and play with much more so I was looking for other solutions, something like lawn tiles so I can at least keep a portion of grass and not simply replace the whole lawn with concrete floor (it is a backyard).

The hole problem is not only about looks, you could break a leg if you step into one while walking.

I would like to know a little more about lawn tiles then, please share your experiences.

May I ask what kind of do you have. If it's like a terrier or another breed that was bred to dig or it's traditionally a work dog, you might be fighting instinct. You also might have a mole or a some animal in the backyard that they are trying to get at if this is sudden. Perhaps you can dedicate a part of the yard as a digging zone with soft sand or soil. Do your neighbors have a dog that could be scaring them? Is there a dog house or a shelter t get out of the sun in the backyard? If your dogs are female, they might be doing a natural mating behavior. I think the secret is to get them to do something else, maybe an obstacle course or some more interstice toys for them to play with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have 3 dogs and one is a hyperactive pug that tends to ruin anything, from furniture to plants. We have a small lawn in the center of our backyard and it is the favorite watering hole (toilet) of our dogs that's why we always let them loose in the front yard where the center is concrete and easy to clean. With the backyard, the waste matter of the dogs will serve as fertilizer, that's good but not really good when you consider that it is a lawn. To protect the backyard, we seldom let the dogs there.

Reaction score
Country
United States
May I ask what kind of do you have. If it's like a terrier or another breed that was bred to dig or it's traditionally a work dog, you might be fighting instinct. You also might have a mole or a some animal in the backyard that they are trying to get at if this is sudden. Perhaps you can dedicate a part of the yard as a digging zone with soft sand or soil. Do your neighbors have a dog that could be scaring them? Is there a dog house or a shelter t get out of the sun in the backyard? If your dogs are female, they might be doing a natural mating behavior. I think the secret is to get them to do something else, maybe an obstacle course or some more interstice toys for them to play with.

They are 3 golden retrievers, not exactly known for being diggers as they have more of a fetching instinct thing, yet they are so smart that are usually bored. Now that you mentioned it the female is usually the main culprit in this whole digging things but she was properly spayed but I guess some of the previous mating behaviors remain? I've read a lot about this and the main issue appears to be boredom, yet this animals are not neglected, are walked twice a day plus I work from home so they are never alone. I am going to look into the whole female thing because she is usually the troublemaker so maybe I can do something to correct a thing that's definitively not boredom, never new about the mating thing, thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some garden centers have a chemical that you can spray on your lawn or plants that doesn't harm the dogs, but does smell bad to them. I've heard of using a mixture of fresh garlic or cayenne pepper, dish soap, and water as a spray, but I've never tested this myself. You might also want to see if you have other animals living in your backyard, such as rats or gophers. The dogs might smell them and get excited over it.

Yes, I've heard about dogs disliking spicy things and I even was about to try a homemade repellent made with cayenne pepper and mustard but I have two main issues, first, it is a very big lawn and I don't feel like dumping a few gallons of the mixture all over the place (not to mention that I would be very expensive) and second, I actually want the dogs to enjoy the lawn and run around free, this is basically where they live so I don't want to turn it into a hostile environment to them, that being said, I think I am going to simply go ahead and buy a commercial product and use a small dose around some areas where I don't want them to go like my herb garden, just as a precaution since they ignore those, at least for now...

Reaction score
Country
United States
They are 3 golden retrievers, not exactly known for being diggers as they have more of a fetching instinct thing, yet they are so smart that are usually bored. Now that you mentioned it the female is usually the main culprit in this whole digging things but she was properly spayed but I guess some of the previous mating behaviors remain? I've read a lot about this and the main issue appears to be boredom, yet this animals are not neglected, are walked twice a day plus I work from home so they are never alone. I am going to look into the whole female thing because she is usually the troublemaker so maybe I can do something to correct a thing that's definitively not boredom, never new about the mating thing, thanks!
If I remember correctly, golden retrievers are originally bred from a Tweed Water Spaniel and a couple of other water loving dogs. You probably could get them a kiddy pool with some squeaky ducks for them to play with. I had my cats spayed and it didn't prevent their tendencies to mark everywhere. It really only minimizes it, spaying doesn't get rid of all the tendencies. Just get her a pile of dirt, probably free off Craigslist, hide toys or treats in the pile until they realize that it's theirs to pay in and not the rest of the yard.

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
If I remember correctly, golden retrievers are originally bred from a Tweed Water Spaniel and a couple of other water loving dogs. You probably could get them a kiddy pool with some squeaky ducks for them to play with. I had my cats spayed and it didn't prevent their tendencies to mark everywhere. It really only minimizes it, spaying doesn't get rid of all the tendencies. Just get her a pile of dirt, probably free off Craigslist, hide toys or treats in the pile until they realize that it's theirs to pay in and not the rest of the yard.

A pile of dirt and maybe something to scratch their nails on, for real.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I am wondering if there is a certain section of the lawn you could confine them to? Maybe they just need their own little place to play. Maybe a play area with a little pool set up would be a good idea. Or maybe they could spend more time in a dog park until they are worn out. It might help with their energy level.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well they are man's best friend, but sometimes you have to sigh and wonder what they are doing when they destroy your things. I have had cats for most of my life, but I have had dogs so I know what you are talking about. Luckily, it was not me who had to worry about the lawn at that point, but I know it drove my father crazy.

Ask a Question