Coffee Grounds

Reaction score
Country
United States
My grandma always put coffee grounds into her compost pile, along with everything else she composted. She always had a beautiful garden, and the things she grew were always so tasty! Although I think my grandma could probably make dirt taste good if she tried.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's not the first time when I hear that coffee grounds make a good fertilizer. I'll definitely use them next year. There is nothing more beautiful and addicting than the smell of coffee. I would be more than happy if the soil in my garden smelled like it:)

Reaction score
Never heard of this. I'm a big fan of coffee and have a surplus of it around the house so I'll definitely give this is a try, if it does in fact work. It may just be a wives tale though. We shall see if it actually works for me as it has for some people on the forums.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Never heard of this. I'm a big fan of coffee and have a surplus of it around the house so I'll definitely give this is a try, if it does in fact work. It may just be a wives tale though. We shall see if it actually works for me as it has for some people on the forums.
Oh, it works. Not so much as a fertilizer but as a soil amendment as it adds minerals and organic mater. Earthworms love it

Reaction score

Oh it very definitely works - in fact if at all unsure - you could always check out the link I posted just a few posts up from yours - as not only does if tell you just about everything you could wish to know about using coffee grounds in the garden - but also sheds some light on some of the many myths regarding using coffee in and around the garden too.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Wow - I was so happy to come across this thread. I am a faithful coffee drinker of minimum 3 cups a day and I hate watching all those grinds being thrown in the garbage everyday wondering if there was something I could be doing with them. I love to garden so this was awesome to learn. Hopefully my plants will start thriving as I haven't had much success as I wasn't sure what to use for fertilizer other then typical compost.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you have to do anything particular to use them? Do you dry the grounds out first or can you just dump them on the plant right after brewing?

Ask a Question