Compositing old coffee grounds

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Hello everyone! So a friend of mine has been collecting used coffee grounds in tins for months.She couldn't use them after all so she offered them to me to compost.Can I though? The coffee grounds are moldy and the tins they are in are all rusty. The tins have airtight lid on them. What do you guys think?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It’s totally fine. In fact my compost and worm bins regularly get moldy areas. I wouldn’t remove it unless it got massive and started smelling putrid. And in almost all cases, if I’m in doubt I add some brown matter. Old leaves from fall are like magic.

I would mix the coffee grounds in with other materials in order to spread around the nitrogen and speed the process. My worms love coffee grounds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I think compost has to go through a stage of smelling putrid:mad:. My son had a cafe for a few years and I loved the coffee grinds for compost and garden so make the most of it;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I use coffee grounds as a slug detterant. I collect bag fulls from Waitrose for free. I then genorously sprinkle them- smells lovely.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Excellent soil amendment especially for acid soil loving plants such as Azaleas, Blueberries & Rhody's

G.W

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone! So a friend of mine has been collecting used coffee grounds in tins for months.She couldn't use them after all so she offered them to me to compost.Can I though? The coffee grounds are moldy and the tins they are in are all rusty. The tins have airtight lid on them. What do you guys think?
Hey Christiner.....Make sure you do your research. Coffee grounds can cause some intense results. It can change the PH of your soil, it can reduce competition from surrounding plans and suppress their growth. I have also read that on tomatoes it can cause the stems to rot at soil line. So some may be helpful in compost but be careful.........There are pros and cons but I think the cons win in this situation. GW

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Suggest (as mentioned in prior postings) keeping them clear of plant stems, as well as new seedlings.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Unless you are happy with a smell stronger that the worst nettle tea, which will catch your throat and make you feel nauseus, don't touch coffee grinds with a 9ft bargepole.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Plant Hardiness Zone 6b - near border 6a, Heat Zone 7
Country
United States
While I still had some larger spent coffee grounds sources, I used a LOT of grounds in the garden. For a couple of years I was adding roughly 30-40 gallons of grounds a week. They were worked directly into beds, as top dressing, in compost, and even as top dressing in containers to deter squirrels. I also added them directly to worm bins. I had read the often recited comments about soil pH and tested frequently. I never saw any pH issues whatsoever. They smelled like coffee for about a week and then, no smell. The only time I remember offputting odors was when I didn't apply them as described above shortly after getting them. In the summer heat, it only takes a few days to mold when they're in closed containers. I just stayed ahead of it by applying them as I got them. I live in an urban area, very close to neighbors. My worms loved them as well.

Fast forward, I lost my coffee suppliers and no one close by saves them...even when asked...and even when that shop is a nationally known chain known for saving them for people. ;)

I am still looking for a good source.

BTW, the only problem I ran into was really created by me. If you apply too heavily as a top dressing, it can crust up the soil surface. Time heals that and I stopped adding as heavily to surface applications.

One more caveat, DO NOT let your dogs near areas where you dumped coffee. Caffeine contains a lot of methylxanthine which can negatively affect brains and organs in dogs. My applications were in areas in which we highly controlled dog traffic.

Ask a Question