Beginner apple tree initial care

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, first time trying to grow fruit trees. Central NC near Raleigh. Just bought a dwarf pink lady & semi dwarf Fuji. Both actively flowering. Pink lady is 7/8” diameter. Fuji is 1-1/4” diameter. I’m unclear if I should prune right away, or if it’s too late already this season & I should wait? The Fuji seems to have 2 leaders, so at some point I think I need to prune one off, but I’m not sure if I should do it now or not. Lastly my understanding is I shouldn’t let them try to bear this year. Should I pinch the flowers now? Or wait & pinch any fruitlets that develop?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I would enjoy the flowers for now and do the pruning when they are done. But I would do the leader removal and other pruning as soon as they're done. blooming. I recommend watching the backyard orchard videos at Dave Wilson Nursery to get an idea what's involved.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm no expert with fruit trees, but I would definitely leave them for now, and probably wouldn't even consider pruning for a couple of years :shy:

Ask a Question