Some general questions from a beginner gardener

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I've been struggling with out door flowers particularly perennials, have tried to troubleshoot through reading online and watching videos but have found that often one symptom can come from different causes, hoping to narrow down what I have been doing wrong. One thing I'm pretty sure I've had issues with is overwatering so trying to fix that... though even with a moisture meter some parts are dry and some stay a bit wet, with the heat they began to droop so I water then I find they end up overwatered, I refrain from watering then in the heat one day over they end up looking fried. They are all in pots / containers since I can't plant in the ground where I'm living atm. Some of the plants do really well at the start then they seem to be stunted from growing, have really tried to monitor my watering and be diligent with the moisture meter. Have 2 bare root wisterias that started off with some fast growth and now for a while haven't moved, I know they are supposed to be rapid growers. One thing that I have been looking into is the water, I am on a well and tested it with strips from Amazon and found that the PH (9) / Alkalinity (240) are very high wondering if this is having a negative effect on the plants. Have been using Fox Farm Ocean forest for while. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, maybe I just lack a green thumb! But hoping to try some tulip / daffodil bulbs this coming year and have some lasting flowers and plants. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Wow. I conmend you for all your hard work of study. And all your high tech involving the PH of soil ect.
So you live in CA, and are zone 9. I live up in PA in zone 6. Most Perennials when moved can be slow for a year until their feet feel at home. However, I always put my perennials in ground. Yes, and some like a good dry out. Just sit back and let your Wistria do their thing. Gardening involves lots of waiting.
As far as your bulb idea, remember bulbs in general love a long winters sleep in the cold cold weather. And yes I do boast my garden has over 400Thousand bulbs that pop up beginning very early spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Zone 9 can be hot. You may care to reflect on what you have vs what will grow there. The struggle is real. The heat will stunt growth which is just one of the details you mentioned and it is hard to make up for it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Wow. I conmend you for all your hard work of study. And all your high tech involving the PH of soil ect.
So you live in CA, and are zone 9. I live up in PA in zone 6. Most Perennials when moved can be slow for a year until their feet feel at home. However, I always put my perennials in ground. Yes, and some like a good dry out. Just sit back and let your Wistria do their thing. Gardening involves lots of waiting.
As far as your bulb idea, remember bulbs in general love a long winters sleep in the cold cold weather. And yes I do boast my garden has over 400Thousand bulbs that pop up beginning very early spring.
I'm trying, and hope as I learn I get a bit better.. always loved English cottage gardens and that's the aim but its been a tough learning curve for these first months of attempts, not to mention the cost adds up quickly :LOL:. Yes in regards to the bulbs I've been reading and watching about giving them a freeze, tulips are just to beautiful not to try... maybe daffodils too will cross my fingers! All those tulips coming up must be a sight!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I'm trying, and hope as I learn I get a bit better.. always loved English cottage gardens and that's the aim but its been a tough learning curve for these first months of attempts, not to mention the cost adds up quickly :LOL:. Yes in regards to the bulbs I've been reading and watching about giving them a freeze, tulips are just to beautiful not to try... maybe daffodils too will cross my fingers! All those tulips coming up must be a sight!!
Ok I need to stop the madness because I live in alabama tropical heat and all these northerners have made suits popular on the screen when in fact we should all be naked.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Zone 9 can be hot. You may care to reflect on what you have vs what will grow there. The struggle is real. The heat will stunt growth which is just one of the details you mentioned and it is hard to make up for it.
Indeed I've been trying to stick to plants I think will work and or see on others property in town flourishing. I'm starting to think transplant shock might also be a factor, all the stress + the summer has been quite hot here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Figured I would add some pictures of some of my plants, The wisteria's in particular started off pretty strong with quick growth and have not moved for a while, the one with the browner tips was watered a bit more. Have stopped watering them for some time now out of fear of rot. Most articles online instruct to keep soil moist on wisteria's but I've found when my plants get stunted and I throw more water at them it makes it worse. This is my first year gardening, maybe takes time to learn the plants. My mom on the other hand just grows everything .. and she waters them pretty daily. I tried that as well. Rotted.

Attachments

• IMG_9019.jpg
    IMG_9019.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9016.jpg
    IMG_9016.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9918.jpg
    IMG_9918.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9917.jpg
    IMG_9917.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9920.jpg
    IMG_9920.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9914.jpg
    IMG_9914.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7560.jpg
    IMG_7560.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8172 (2).jpg
    IMG_8172 (2).jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Most tulips last only a few seasons (Darwin last longer) , most daffodils go on and on.
Thanks I was going to say that to the author of this thread. @Al3x I tend to not use too many tulips, as they really do not last too many years. If you must have some tulips focus on the ones that say they are naturalizers, they may give you more than a couple years. Daffs come in lots of yellow colors, My daffs are selected based on timelines, so something fresh is always beginning to bloom till the latest type out there. And have the other types of bulbs, snowdrops, crocuses etc. Don't forget Alliums--you might like to explore those, they are very interesting, and in pots can make a statement. Spend time researching, getting the "right " plant for your area saves you money.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Alliums--you might like to explore those, they are very interesting, and in pots can make a statement. Spend time researching, getting the "right " plant for your area saves you money.
One of my favourites is snake head fritillary, I brought seed with me when we moved here. I planted them in the grass, next to established snowdrops under a very ancient apple tree . Saw my first flower this year, so probably the third summer, they seed and spread though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
One of my favourites is snake head fritillary, I brought seed with me when we moved here. I planted them in the grass, next to established snowdrops under a very ancient apple tree . Saw my first flower this year, so probably the third summer, they seed and spread though.
I have those. Yes, love them.
spring2322.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks I was going to say that to the author of this thread. @Al3x I tend to not use too many tulips, as they really do not last too many years. If you must have some tulips focus on the ones that say they are naturalizers, they may give you more than a couple years. Daffs come in lots of yellow colors, My daffs are selected based on timelines, so something fresh is always beginning to bloom till the latest type out there. And have the other types of bulbs, snowdrops, crocuses etc. Don't forget Alliums--you might like to explore those, they are very interesting, and in pots can make a statement. Spend time researching, getting the "right " plant for your area saves you money.
Thank you for the info! Good to know. At this point I'd be happy if they give me one year since most things I've planted haven't made it long term.

Ask a Question