Bean Tortillas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?LXIQK 30 January 2015 Bean tortillas
It was decided to make tortillas and adding a quantity of beans, with the purpose of fortifying the product. Nixtamalized corn and beans were mixed in the blender. This was then added to the mixing pot containing whole wheat flour, and later Maseca commercial flour was added to adjust texture to make dough. Whole wheat flour was used for the gluten to keep the tortillas intact when handling. The whole wheat flour was made from hard wheat kernels using the Wonder Mill. The tortillas were cooked in batches of nine on the new tray and cooked for ten minutes at 400F. When serving a minute in the microwave causes the tortillas to balloon and they can then be filled with various ingredients if desired. The beans were previously prepared.Pictures detail the procedure.
URL

Reaction score
I hope you forgive my bluntness here - but you are aware that this is a Gardening Forum and not a Cookery Forum aren't you ?

As to be perfectly honest - although I may of course be one of only a few - I would much rather discuss the actual growing of my produce rather than how to cook it - which is why my preference is to visit forums related to gardening rather than cooking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I hope you forgive my bluntness here - but you are aware that this is a Gardening Forum and not a Cookery Forum aren't you ?

As to be perfectly honest - although I may of course be one of only a few - I would much rather discuss the actual growing of my produce rather than how to cook it - which is why my preference is to visit forums related to gardening rather than cooking.
There ain't much sense learning how to cook if there ain't no food

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?AFGMX 29 September 2014 Indian Corn
Twenty five pounds of corn wa harvested by my small about 8 by 10 foot patch. the squirrels damaged and ate more than half the crop.The kernels will be removed from the cobs when fully dry and made into flour for making tortillas.
URL

Reaction score
Awesome! Those corn tortillas actually look more tasty than the ones that were made with corn, the bean mix makes them look even more appetizing :) Thanks for sharing, but maybe your posts (on this topic) would be better off in the ''off topic'' section?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Maybe there should be a " Recipe, Preserving, Drying,Freezing Canning,Pickling , Utilizing garden produce section". One grows food plants for a purpose usually.

Reaction score
Maybe you should say that to the other members who posted before me? I was making a suggestion , because there is no preserving section here. I don't mind your posts on this section at all, but others might. Just tried to show some kindness.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Awesome! I do like your instructions and your pictures, if we are growing food for pleasure or to eat it would be nice to have a place to share what we are doing with all of the harvest we get after all of the hard work. What type of beans did you use in your preparation of your tortillas?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Maybe you should say that to the other members who posted before me? I was making a suggestion , because there is no preserving section here. I don't mind your posts on this section at all, but others might. Just tried to show some kindness.

I know. If one doesn't get anything from a post them all that is necessary is to pass. I didn't think a couple of the previous comments were worthy of replying to.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Awesome! I do like your instructions and your pictures, if we are growing food for pleasure or to eat it would be nice to have a place to share what we are doing with all of the harvest we get after all of the hard work. What type of beans did you use in your preparation of your tortillas?

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?SCAUH 17 January 2015 Pressure Cooking Dried Beans
A batch of pressure canned dried beans was prepared. A variety of beans were washed and boiled for about half hour. These were rinsed and pressure cooked for two hours at 15 PSI.Dried beans must be thoroughly cooked. The beans were then placed in a pot and mixed with a prepared sauce for flavor. The beans were then beat into a slurry.The beans were placed in containers and frozen until required.The sauce was made from home tomato juice, mustard, soy sauce, garlic and molasses.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?ZJWVZ 24 August 2014 Tomato Juice.
URL

Ask a Question