Anyone here grow stinging nettle? (For tea or greens)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I started some stinging nettle by seed. I’m planning on using it for tea and boiled greens. The biggest plus to me is the deer resistance. I know it is a weed for most people, but does anyone else grow it and use it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It grows on my land all on its own, and has to be removed from time to time, but it is a valuable plant, as you say for many purposes. Quite a few butterflies like to lay their eggs on the plant, and moths of course. Not only will it provide a source of iron in teas and as greens on your plate, but if there is some left over, cut it off and leave it in a bucket of water. The result will be good fertiliser, if a bit smelly 🥴

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have False Nettle (Boehmeria cylindrica) that grows in my yard naturally, I keep it because it's a host plant for the Red Admiral butterfly. I'm not sure if you can make tea from it -- I'm strictly a coffee guy:ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Country
Australia
My chickens don't eat it so when I move them, I have a field of nothing else. I consider it a highly nutritious mulch and companion plant. My daughter makes a quiche with nettle.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just what Tetters says, it grows itself, a valuable food plant for quite a few things and makes good fertiliser. I am not fond enough of it to eat it often, when you do catch the young tips as much as you can, it can get quite stringy.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I agree what Tetters has said, there's a lot growing here by the woods and around places but I've never used it for fertilizer, too smelly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Here's a video I watched when I first learned that this plant has more uses than just stinging the hell out of hikers. He also mentions False Nettle in this video.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it frequent in the US? I remember an American friend years ago complaining how the English went on about poison ivy "But no-one warned me about stinging nettles, bastard things".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It's frequent enough on the Appalachian Trail. Lot of hikers with itchy legs:eek:

Although some of those cases of being stung could be from hikers coming in contact with Wood Nettle (Laportea canadensis), as he mentions at about the 6-minute point of the video in post #8, above.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't grow stinging nettle. Most of the beneficial purposes of stinging nettle are also provided by the stingless False Nettle (Boehmeria cylindrica) AKA Bog Hemp, which I purposely grow for butterflies, fertilizer, and cover crop.

Ask a Question