Anybody grow wineberries?

Reaction score
I remember as a kid my Mom and I always walked to pick the berries that were growing wild by us. We had blackberries, raspberries and wineberries growing wild. I absolutely love wineberries but unfortunately I cannot find any bushes anywhere to plant. Nobody around us seem to sell wineberry bushes and it is a shame! I would love to have some. I cannot even go back to where I grew up for a plant as the property is now all owned by new residents - developers came in and built houses there since I was a kid.

Anybody know where to find these delicious berry plants? I can't even buy them at the store or local farmers market so I have not had the chance to eat any in years.

Reaction score
So, I had to go search for wineberries, because I've never heard of them before. What I read was that they were a species of raspberry. Does that seem right to you? (I want to make sure that what I found is what you are looking for.) Here is a link with pictures: http://www.vegetablegardener.com/item/12440/wineberries

According to this link http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=1018 , among others, they are not sold anywhere. In fact, they are considered an invasive weed.

It sounds like your best bet is to wander (drive?) around to see if you can find some. You may even be able to dig up starts. In fact, one idea might be to put an ad in the classifieds, offering to dig out someone's wineberry bush at no charge. Then you can plant it and see if it will grow in your yard.

Reaction score
So, I had to go search for wineberries, because I've never heard of them before. What I read was that they were a species of raspberry. Does that seem right to you? (I want to make sure that what I found is what you are looking for.) Here is a link with pictures: http://www.vegetablegardener.com/item/12440/wineberries

According to this link http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=1018 , among others, they are not sold anywhere. In fact, they are considered an invasive weed.

It sounds like your best bet is to wander (drive?) around to see if you can find some. You may even be able to dig up starts. In fact, one idea might be to put an ad in the classifieds, offering to dig out someone's wineberry bush at no charge. Then you can plant it and see if it will grow in your yard.
Yes that is them! They are so delicious. I haven't been able to find any lately anywhere. They do grow wild and take over if you are not careful (and they have prickers) but they are so worth it.

I wonder if maybe not many people try them since they are a wild berry and that is why they take them out. We used to have them all along the road growing up until developers built newer houses. They no longer have wineberries growing wild there. A classified ad sounds like a good idea.

Reaction score
Personally, I don't know why anyone would remove a plant that gives food, but I suppose they have their reasons.

Let me know if you find any.

By the way, I just did a "wineberry plants for sale" (with the quotes) on Google search and these are the results:

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclie...431,d.cGE&fp=6371660c761f365b&biw=853&bih=431

I was surprised. I don't know how new the links in the search would be, but it might be worth your while to look at the link above.

Reaction score
I will say that they look like a blackberry or raspberry shrub, they are covered with glandular hairs, so one should wear boots when going out to harvest.

Reaction score
We just realized we have wineberries growing wild on our property and they are delicious! We made a mixed berry jam with the harvest from yesterday (with blackberries and boysenberries) and it turned out really well--very unique.

Reaction score
We just realized we have wineberries growing wild on our property and they are delicious! We made a mixed berry jam with the harvest from yesterday (with blackberries and boysenberries) and it turned out really well--very unique.

Yes we have used them to make jam when I was a kid! I haven't had boysenberries in a long time either. I am surprised that more people think of wineberries as a weed then a fruit. Maybe they pull the plants out before the berries are on them if they think it is just a bunch of pricker bushes or something.

Reaction score
I've never heard of wineberries before this post. I can imagine they taste great. I always wish I could make jams. I am growing a Olallieberry that I started from seed I hope it is a heavy producer.

Reaction score
If you can find someone close to you that has them, I'll bet they'd be willing to share. They fill in so aggressively and produce so vigorously that I can understand the invasive designation. We got some from a neighbor and in the space of one season a half-dozen plants made a nice, thick living fence (trained along berry wire). I never knew they were called wineberry - I just knew they're a variety of raspberry and the kids enjoy eating them at our neighbor's house so we asked if he had some he'd be willing to share. And sure enough, he was getting ready to pull out some that had overstepped their bounds and was more than happy to give them to us.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Like many of you, I haven't heard of them before. I googled them and I found pictures of fruits that look exactly like raspberries, it's funny. Since I find raspberries delicious, I'm sure that I would love wineberries too. Do you think that I could grow them in my climate zone? I live in middle Europe.

Reaction score
Like many of you, I haven't heard of them before. I googled them and I found pictures of fruits that look exactly like raspberries, it's funny. Since I find raspberries delicious, I'm sure that I would love wineberries too. Do you think that I could grow them in my climate zone? I live in middle Europe.
I am not sure to be honest, they grow real well here in NJ. We used to have them up and down the side of the road growing up until they built new houses there (they dug up almost everything to put the houses in.) The climate here is cold in the winter and hot in the summer - quite often humid too. Our average summer can be anywhere from 70 during the day up to 100 (tho we don't get a lot of 100 days.) Average temp would probably be around 85.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I am not sure to be honest, they grow real well here in NJ. We used to have them up and down the side of the road growing up until they built new houses there (they dug up almost everything to put the houses in.) The climate here is cold in the winter and hot in the summer - quite often humid too. Our average summer can be anywhere from 70 during the day up to 100 (tho we don't get a lot of 100 days.) Average temp would probably be around 85.

I had to use a conventer:p. So...85f is around 29 degree Celsius. I think that average temperature here, in my area, is lower...or maybe not? I'm not sure to be honest. Although during summer often it's around 30 or even 35c, during winter it's freezing, sometimes -20c. I will look for wineberries, maybe I will find some:)

Reaction score
I remember as a kid my Mom and I always walked to pick the berries that were growing wild by us. We had blackberries, raspberries and wineberries growing wild. I absolutely love wineberries but unfortunately I cannot find any bushes anywhere to plant. Nobody around us seem to sell wineberry bushes and it is a shame! I would love to have some. I cannot even go back to where I grew up for a plant as the property is now all owned by new residents - developers came in and built houses there since I was a kid.

Anybody know where to find these delicious berry plants? I can't even buy them at the store or local farmers market so I have not had the chance to eat any in years.
I just stumbled upon your post and here is the answer to your question: Back 40 General Store at the following web site ships wineberry plants. http://www.shop.b40gs.com/Wineberry-Plants-Rubus-phoenicolasius-NPSWB.htm

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States

Ask a Question