Wormwood

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
So i recently just purchased a bunch of seeds online (15 different kinds) and one of them is Wormwood I have read up some on the uses of wormwood such as a tea (and no, not to make absinthe XD) but I have also read up on some of the negatives of the plant as well. has anyone here ever used wormwood or grown it and know if it is a plant that is more of a problem or if it is ok to use in small doses such as in tea ect...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We have artemisia (a variety of wormwood) in our flower beds and it spreads by root, and I mean spreads! Personally I wouldn't use wormwood as an herb, just as a decorative touch in the garden. It should do well in your zone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
We have artemisia (a variety of wormwood) in our flower beds and it spreads by root, and I mean spreads! Personally I wouldn't use wormwood as an herb, just as a decorative touch in the garden. It should do well in your zone.

sweet sounds great I am growing them right now in my grow tent but will probably move them to outside as soon as they become a bit more mature

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I made tea out of the stuff once, it was so bitter I nearly threw up :eek:

Reaction score
Country
United States
The toxic compound, thujone is present in Wormwood (Artemisia absinthium and other related species). It should not be used as a food.
If there are still arguably medicinal uses for the plant, such usage should be done only under the direction of a knowledgeable herbalist. Needless to say, beware of fools, charlatans, and enthusiastic over-confidence. It has been used traditionally in absinthe liquers in very small amounts, though I understand that many modern absinthe recipes leave that herb out entirely.

However, as ornamental garden plants, wormwoods, and other silver-leaved Artemisia, come highly recommended. One particularly popular cultivar is Artemisia x 'Powis castle', which is a hybrid of two different wormwoods: Artemisia absinthium and A. arborescens.

Last edited:

Ask a Question