Worms?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
When I started gardening I only had worms in limited areas of my yard, because Florida soil is so sandy when all you have is grass and mow it. Since getting rid of all my grass and mulching my entire yard I have plenty of worms.

I don't like the idea of buying worms, I'd rather "build it" and they will come. Same with ladybugs. Don't waste money buying ladybugs. Build up an environment that attract them.

Furthermore, many people buy the wrong type of worms for their garden, they buy fishing worms from a bait store. The bulk of which are Red Wigglers. Red wigglers need a lot of mulch to live in, they will die in most gardens that usually have a very thin layer of mulch, in not zero mulch.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I keep a three-tier worm farm in the shed during winter and spring. I can buy worm eggs (in a sealed package of fine soil) at the local store. I feed them on compost, old, rotted straw, used potting mix and not many food scraps (because they go to compost and chickens). As summer approaches and the shed hots up, I gradually tip the tiered bins onto the compost heap and wash them into the heap. They are red worms, but they survive well in the compost where they remain cool and well fed.

When I first moved in here twenty years ago, a lot of worms emerge from the paving and went into the swimming pool which was covered and unfiltered because it was winter. Very strange? Come spring and I'm cleaning the pool by vacuuming to waste via the skimmer basket. The skimmer basket is full of live worms! They had metamorphized into algae eating, underwater worms? I transferred them to the compost heap but they never metamorphized a second time. They all died there, and none were left to repeat the trick next winter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have both Red Wigglers and European Nightcrawlers.

I understand they can live up to 140F. Right now I have them in my Greenhouse.

I also understand the Red Wigglers are not real good for Garden because they only go a few inches deep and can't handle the cold.

I'm going to sell European Nightcrawlers.

big rockpile

Ask a Question