Tomato hornworms

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I had a bunch of extra tomato plants that I plated in the garden kind of off to the side and haven't bothered with much. This morning I was picking some ripe tomatoes off them so they wouldn't seed next year and noticed a few of big fat hornworms snacking on the plants lol. I let them do their thing since they were kind enough to stay away from my main tomato plants, but thought I would share some pics of them.

PXL_20230809_145924038.MP.jpg

PXL_20230809_145843069.MP.jpg

PXL_20230809_145901876.MP.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
They love you pepper.
Lol! It's amazing how much those things eat, it's non stop. I went back out in the evening to see what's going on and they were still munching away. If someone only had a few tomato plants it wouldn't take long for them to eat every leaf off them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lol! It's amazing how much those things eat, it's non stop. I went back out in the evening to see what's going on and they were still munching away. If someone only had a few tomato plants it wouldn't take long for them to eat every leaf off them.
I cut a tomato stem with a tomato hornworm on it, brought it inside, laid it on a strip of paper towel, just so I could watch. Most pests don't want an audience! This character did not care one bit. It munched it's way along in such a tidy, methodical, focused path from
one leaf to the next! It amazed me how quickly it made its way up that stem with such a tiny mouthpart! Pooping the entire way!!
I thanked him for his performance right before I flushed him.

I read that a good way to find tomato hornworms is to go out after dark with a blacklight flashlight, which I decided would be a fun
thing to do with my little g'dau. They did indeed show up like purple neon.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I cut a tomato stem with a tomato hornworm on it, brought it inside, laid it on a strip of paper towel, just so I could watch. Most pests don't want an audience! This character did not care one bit. It munched it's way along in such a tidy, methodical, focused path from
one leaf to the next! It amazed me how quickly it made its way up that stem with such a tiny mouthpart! Pooping the entire way!!
😍

I thanked him for his performance right before I flushed him.
😱 🚽 🪦 😭

I read that a good way to find tomato hornworms is to go out after dark with a blacklight flashlight, which I decided would be a fun
thing to do with my little g'dau. They did indeed show up like purple neon.
That is cool! I will have to try that :)

Ask a Question