Steve @ Celtic Farm

Flower Farmer | Master Gardener | Earth Scientist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

Earthworm Test for Soil Health​

Thought I'd share a portion of a piece I am writing on 4 DIY soil tests you can do to determine the health of your soil.

The presence of earthworms in your garden soil is a strong indicator of its health and fertility. The earthworm test is a simple yet effective way to assess the biological activity and overall quality of your soil. Here’s how it works and what the results mean.

How to Conduct the Earthworm Test

1. Timing and Conditions Ensure the soil temperature is at least 55 degrees Fahrenheit and is moderately moist. These conditions are ideal for earthworm activity.
  2. Digging the Soil Carefully dig a hole about one foot deep and one foot across. It’s best to do this gently to minimize harm to any earthworms present.
  3. Counting Earthworms As you remove the soil, sift through it and count the number of earthworms you find. After counting, replace the soil in the hole.
Interpreting the Results

Now that we have our worm count, we can apply that to general standards and understand the health of our soil.

• High Earthworm Count– If you find 10 or more earthworms in the soil sample, it’s a strong indication of healthy, fertile soil. Earthworms are beneficial for the soil as they aerate it while moving through, improve its drainage, and enhance nutrient availability by breaking down organic matter.
  • Low Earthworm Count– Fewer than 10 earthworms might suggest that your soil lacks sufficient organic matter or has issues with acidity or alkalinity. It could also indicate compacted or poorly aerated soil, which is not conducive to earthworm activity.
Gardener Tip: Earthworms, commonly found in gardens and soil, are soil-dwellers that burrow deeply and help aerate and mix the soil layers, thus enhancing soil structure and nutrient distribution. On the other hand, vermi-composting worms, like red wigglers, are surface-dwellers and thrive in decomposing organic matter rather than soil. They are used in vermi-composting systems to break down kitchen scraps and organic waste into nutrient-rich compost, known as worm castings. Unlike earthworms, vermi-composting worms prefer a controlled environment and are ideal for indoor or small-scale composting.
How do earthworms help the soil?

Earthworms are often called ‘nature’s tillers’. Their movement through the soil creates channels that improve aeration and water infiltration. They feed on organic matter, breaking it down into more accessible forms for plants, thereby enriching the soil. Their castings (excretions) are also rich in nutrients, acting as a natural fertilizer. A thriving earthworm population is a good sign of organic matter richness and a balanced soil ecosystem, which is fundamental for healthy plant growth.

The earthworm test provides a straightforward way to gauge the biological health of your soil. A garden with a healthy earthworm population is likely to have well-aerated, nutrient-rich soil, which is a key component in supporting vigorous plant growth and a successful garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've found that no matter what kind of soil you have, if it is dry there will be no worms. They just can't survive being dry so they go deeper. A better test might be to flood the soil and then count them before the birds or chickens eat them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This year I'm looking at the best soil I've had in 10 years.

Yes it is loaded with worms. This year I planted a Cover Crop and plan to put more Compost on it.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've found that no matter what kind of soil you have, if it is dry there will be no worms. They just can't survive being dry so they go deeper. A better test might be to flood the soil and then count them before the birds or chickens eat them.
That's true, when I first did away with all my grass in my yard, the "soil" was very dry and sandy with no noticeable amount of organic matter, just inorganic grains of sand. And moisture could be found if you dug down about a foot (30cm), but the sand was so compacted nothing lived down there, except a few hardy microbes.

Worms had to eke out an existence in pockets of the yard where leaves and other organic matter would collect over time, usually under trees and along fences.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok on my Lawn I'm going to put more Organic Matter on it. I've considered adding Worms but do you think I should just deal with what I have?

big rockpile

sugarapsa

Zone 7b
Reaction score
Country
United States
I often wondered the difference between red wigglers and earth worms. This report make perfect sense.
I have confined raised beds where I have added worm castings from my worm bin. I have a sifter that I made and very small small RW do pass through the screen along with a ton of eggs. So I have that portion covered. However, as mentioned my raised beds are confined meaning there is no way earth worms can access it. This report has inspired me to collect earth worms and add them to the mix.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If you give what the worms need they will multiply quickly, but if you don't have all their needs any amount you buy will probably die.

That's why I never bought worms, because when I first mulched my yard, I still had very sandy soil, so the earthworms would not be able to dig down into those sharp sand grains.

I allowed other organisms to breakdown the mulch and get some topsoil created and eventually the worms moved out of their pockets and into the wider yard.

I never bought Red Wiggler type worms because I would have to maintain a thick layer of mulch, especially in the cold winters whereas earthworms are more hardy. I think Red Wiggler type worms are only good for Worm bins. They're kind of like pets that need more care than a wild animal, in this case earthworms.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have Red Wigglers and European Nightcrawlers.

Hoping to sell European Nightcrawlers for Fish Bait.

I have them in my Greenhouse.

Just looking I need to start another Bin for my Red Wigglers.

We've been in a Drought for a long time my Son dug down 4 foot and just as dry and hard.

I'm thinking adding Organic Matter over time can turn this around even with the Drought.

Like I say my Garden is looking better than it ever has and is loaded with worms.

big rockpile

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok built another Worm Bin and divided up my worms.

Found out to that if there is too many worms they will quit multiplying. And bigger area they have the bigger they will get.

Ordered 1,500 Lady Bugs to eat pest in my Greenhouse. Think I will do this every year.

big rockpile

Ask a Question