Worm tubes for the garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well the plan is to create a green house approximately 1 acre in size (yes I know that is big) and high enough (approximate 25 to 30 feet, just high enough for the fruit trees) with a atmosphere water generator and heating system connected directly to my kitchen as part of it. I know this is a major project, but it is what we have always wanted. That way when I am cooking, if I need a tomato I just walk into the green house and pick one and not have to cross a yard to get to it. LOL Basically the backside of our home will be the greenhouse. One day when we finally get this, I will send pictures.

Wow. That is major. You may as well start storing up water now, lol. Might I suggest a few raised beds in the meantime while you work toward your dream greenhouse? You could experiment with Hugelkulture and with wicking beds. Can you recycle gray water where you live? That would really help your garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Problem with the area I am in, we have dead high alkali soil and it is lumpy throughout the property. I would have to level and enrich the soil. It is more work then I either have time or patience for right now.... especially since I have a damaged spinal cord which makes things a bit more difficult. So a green house is the best option at the moment. It would help to less water usage and keep the plants safe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Problem with the area I am in, we have dead high alkali soil and it is lumpy throughout the property. I would have to level and enrich the soil. It is more work then I either have time or patience for right now.... especially since I have a damaged spinal cord which makes things a bit more difficult. So a green house is the best option at the moment. It would help to less water usage and keep the plants safe.

No you wouldn't That's the whole point of raised beds. You really should do at least one Hugelkultur mound. You could get started with a few edibles until you got that greenhouse built. You could probably set up a wicking bed in a raised bed as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
BTW, everyone, to the original topic of this thread, I plan to put my first worm tube to work in garden #3 next week!. Just about done with redoing that small raised bed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a compost bin going in my yard, actually, I usually have two. When the first one is full, I start using the second one. By the time that one is full, the first one is ready to be sifted and used in the garden. Lately though, I have been thinking about starting a worm tube. It doesn't take up much space, and if I don't bury it, I can harvest the worm tea to use in the garden. It seems a lot simpler and more economical than making or buying worm bins.

Have any of you tried worm tubes in your gardens?

For those who have no idea what I am talking about...

420a9c17211bd11721b97774e24d674c.jpg

Here's a link for that second one: http://midwestpermaculture.com/2012/11/how-to-build-a-worm-tower/

I like this idea, actually I built a barrel for that purpose but it need some modification at the bottom so one can get the final compost and the compost tea. Never put worms in it but this Spring I'm buying some Night Crawlers. Here is what I did

I got the idea from something like this:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Interesting, @Gilcano. So you have been composting in this blue barrel without the worms, or is this the newer version? Do you put plants in the open spaces in the container? I've decided to give the worm tube a go within the next week. I just have to get the PVC and borrow a drill to add the holes to the bottom.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting, @Gilcano. So you have been composting in this blue barrel without the worms, or is this the newer version? Do you put plants in the open spaces in the container? I've decided to give the worm tube a go within the next week. I just have to get the PVC and borrow a drill to add the holes to the bottom.

@Chanell, I was just using the barrel as a container for planting and never added worms to it. This coming Spring I want to order some Night Crawlers see link http://unclejimswormfarm.com/index....Reds-European-Night-Crawlers/flypage.tpl.html but first I need to fix the bottom to be able to get access to the final product or compost. I think is a great idea because in the center tube/worm tube you can dump the food scraps and such and the worm will convert it to vermicompost and the tube have holes so the worm can go around the container in the soil and aerated the soil. Same concept that your tube in the garden but this one is in the barrel.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I thought the same as @ChanellG that the plants would come out of the holes in the sides. Planting just up top is good, but using the side holes allows you to use all available space so you can utilize all available spaces.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The plant will not fall out from the sides, last year I planted just two rings down but this year I'm planning to use the whole container. Check this picture from the Internet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Gilcano, that is exactly what I thought they were going to do when I saw the barrel and the way it was cut. I was surprised to see only plants in the top. Those look amazing. I have been thinking on trying to do something like that with tomato plants, just haven't decided yet if I want to or not. There are some old oil barrels around here I was thinking of using.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Gilcano, that is exactly what I thought they were going to do when I saw the barrel and the way it was cut. I was surprised to see only plants in the top. Those look amazing. I have been thinking on trying to do something like that with tomato plants, just haven't decided yet if I want to or not. There are some old oil barrels around here I was thinking of using.

If the barrels you have contained cooking oil I think it's OK but any other oil could be harmful. I got this container from a guy in Brooklyn who works in a Marina he told me they contained antifreeze, I washed and rinsed many times with a pressure washer and then filled with water and pour a bottle of white vinegar (someone told is good neutralizer).

I'm looking to get another barrel to plant some more. If you want to do tomatoes in the barrel you might have to plant them close to the bottom and them trained them to a cage or trellis installed next to the container. Happy planting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Gilcano... I have been thinking on trying to do something like that with tomato plants, just haven't decided yet if I want to or not. There are some old oil barrels around here I was thinking of using.

This kind of container would work better for strawberries, lettuces, and low growing herbs. Unless you grew compact bush or patio tomato plants this container wouldn't give them the kind of support they needed. Tomatoes would be better planted in the ground or in a large container (best choice for home gardens).

Ask a Question