Will this work?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Will a upside down, clear storage container be suitable for putting over germinating seeds?

I will be planting some baobab seeds today and they are going to have to be outside. I need to protect them from the rain, but need to make sure they get light. Will the clear storage containers stop the needed spectrum of light?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I don't see the container being a problem Rudygar as it's clear, it may restrict air flow around the seedlings though. Perhaps you could punch a few holes in it. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I don't see the container being a problem Rudygar as it's clear, it may restrict air flow around the seedlings though. Perhaps you could punch a few holes in it. :)

Ah, good point. I didn't think of that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I often start seeds in clear storage containers and actually grow them to transplant size. Just don't forget to add ventilation and drainage holes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Okay. I punched a few holes in it. @CanadianLori oh no. Is it bad for them to get to hot? It's hitting 90f-100f during the day here. The tree im trying to grow is from a hot climate, but It will get mighty hot in the storage container.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I often start seeds in clear storage containers and actually grow them to transplant size. Just don't forget to add ventilation and drainage holes
That's great to know. Glad it's a tested method. How much ventilation would you recommend? I made about 30 holes with a Phillips screwdriver.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That's great to know. Glad it's a tested method. How much ventilation would you recommend? I made about 30 holes with a Phillips screwdriver.
I misread your first post I think. You are planting the seeds in the ground? Or in the plastic container with a lid? If in the ground you will have to remove the covering when the seeds sprout. A 90F outside ambient temperature inside a plastic container even with holes will easily reach 110F inside temperature which will kill a seedling. If your seedlings need protection after they sprout use something like a fine mesh netting such as cheesecloth or shade cloth

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I misread your first post I think. You are planting the seeds in the ground? Or in the plastic container with a lid? If in the ground you will have to remove the covering when the seeds sprout. A 90F outside ambient temperature inside a plastic container even with holes will easily reach 110F inside temperature which will kill a seedling. If your seedlings need protection after they sprout use something like a fine mesh netting such as cheesecloth or shade cloth

They are not in the ground. I have them on a rack with an upside down storage container on top of them. The Baobab seeds don't like to stay wet, so I wanted something that would protect them from the rain. They want a lot of sun and I can't keep them indoors. I really appreciate the reply, I think you just saved the lives of 10 trees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
This is similar to the pechay that farmers plant here. Pechay is a Chinese lettuce with leaves that are susceptible to drying. When the sun is so hot, expect the small pechay to wither and die. What the farmers do is to put a shade by using the bark of the banana plant. They said the bark is cool and will control the heat of the sun.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charlief11

Latest Threads