Why arent my watermelons getting any bigger?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there, first time posting here. So we planted a watermelon in our garden towards the end of May; since then it has flourished, taking over a large portion of the garden area and sprouting dozens of blossoms. However, there are very few fruit, and those that have appeared never seem to grow any larger than my thumb. The site is regularly watered and gets good sun. I don’t believe pollination is an issue because our neighbors two houses away have bees. We are also seeing similar problems with our pumpkins, which in past years have done pretty well. What gives here? I am in growing zone 7b.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
The 10 day forecast for Murray, Utah shows nighttime temps of 53 deg F to 58 deg F. That is TOO cold for watermelon development. To grow melons they need nighttime temps at 70 deg. F or higher.

p.s. same for pumpkins

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi there, first time posting here. So we planted a watermelon in our garden towards the end of May; since then it has flourished, taking over a large portion of the garden area and sprouting dozens of blossoms. However, there are very few fruit, and those that have appeared never seem to grow any larger than my thumb. The site is regularly watered and gets good sun. I don’t believe pollination is an issue because our neighbors two houses away have bees. We are also seeing similar problems with our pumpkins, which in past years have done pretty well. What gives here? I am in growing zone 7b.
Sounds like a nitrogen deficiency to me.

MOD

Ask a Question