Whole Wheat Tortillas (Chapati)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?ZCIPR 13 October 2014 Whole wheat tortillas
Perfecting a method of making whole wheat tortillas. The wheat flour is made in a WonderMill from whole wheat kernels.The flour is mixed with some water to make a dough.(No salt, oil or anything else is added for my product.) This has to be done carefully, since the dough cannot be sticky.A small dough ball is made and placed on a sheet of parchment paper to prevent sticking in the hand press. After pressing the parchment is readily removed and a knife is run under the tortilla, since it sticks slightly. The tortilla is cooked in a hot teflon pan on each side for about 40 seconds, them placed in the microwave to cause ballooning or separation of the two cooked surfaces. This further cooks by steam and is an essential step for good well cooked tortillas. These tortillas are called Chapati in India. Needless to say this product is not gluten free and if you have wheat belly the product is not for you.
URL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They sound good, but I can't eat wheat or any thing with gluten in it, would this work with rice flour ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I don't know if rice flour will stick together when flattened out. Simple to try though. There are also many gluten free flours. I have had no experience with them, since I can process gluten and had no requirement to test them
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?KKTYV 3 March 2015 Potato tortillas
Tortillas were made using baked Russian Blue Potatoes and nixtamalized corn. The ingredients were blended with water and mixed in a pot with Meseca flour to make the dough. The shaped balls were pressed into tortillas and cooked on a flat sheet in the oven in batches of nine for 14 minutes. The tortillas were stored in plastic containers in the refrigerator or freezer until required. These are gluten free and must be handled gently to remain in one piece until cooked. Pictures depict the process.

Reaction score
You don't use white flour to make these? Aren't they too hard? I ask because I've been making flour/corn tortillas for a while, and early on I was told that whole wheat tortillas needed some white flour or else they would be too hard. Is that true? I've never tried this method, but it sounds interesting.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I only use whole wheat flour. I tend to enjoy the taste. Grain is always ground in my Wondermill. The tortillas are soft. About 15 seconds in the microwave will soften the tortillas, if this is an issue. Using the whole wheat flour adds some body to the tortillas and possibly a few more nutrients.

My favorite is tortillas made with nixtamalized corn flour and whole wheat flour.

It is possible to make a reasonable flour from the whole grains in the blender, putting a small amount in each time. But the Wondermill will make excellent flour of the non-oily grains.

Ask a Question