Wheat Belly considered nonsense.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.cbc.ca/news/wheat-belly-arguments-are-based-on-shaky-science-critics-say-1.2974214 Wheat Belly arguments are based on shaky science, critics say
Scientists dispute claims in best-selling book, fifth estate finds

I have always loved wheat right from the granary and considered all the babble about it being bad as pure BS as far as normal healthy people are concerned. I have eaten it almost every day for breakfast using ground wheat kernels for over 40 years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Okay I feel compelled to comment on this from personal experience. I started to have health problems and after all sorts of crazy tests the doctor tells me they think the issue might be Conn's Disease and one of the best ways to keep this in check is to remove gluten's from the diet. So I do that. Like you Durgan I have eaten wheat all my life.

So I stop eating all wheat products, all products that have any sort of gluten's and lo and behold I get better and I am baffled because these are things I have eaten all my life right? Or are they? So slowly I re-introduce whole wheat that is not processed and I am fine, Then I try organic unbleached flour and I am fine, and I think hmmm? maybe it was a coincidence and try whole wheat bread from the grocer and I get sick again.

I have come to the conclusion that there is something about or maybe added to certain processes in mass food production that changes the wheat or that's added during manufacturing. Some process that is very different then it was in the 60's & 70's. So I tested that theory and baked my own breads using my great aunts recipe from back in the day and it guess what no problems! Someday hopefully in our lifetime the truth will come out that it is an additive or some step they use to preserve a process or something like that -that is the culprit.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
First of all certainly the commercial flour be it whole wheat or white is not a whole grain product.

I bought a Wondermill grinder and produce my own flour. From this if I need flour I make a quick grind. However, I don't use much bread. Here is one type I produce now and then.http://www.durgan.org/URL/?YXWEE 13 March 2014 Wheat Belly Bread.

I do use the whole wheat in making a whole grain gruel or breakfast cereal. The whole grains including the wheat are beat into a slurry in the blender and then cooked.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?OKIJG 7 February 2015 Gruel Seven Products

I ingest a fair amount of whole wheat and suffer no issues. Certainly everybody should consider the food they ingest and of course modify or remove anything determined to be causing problems. I attempt to utilize unmodified food as much as possible. For better or worse.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have crohn's disease really bad and find that almost any processed foods, other than a small taste, will send my system in to a tailspin that can take days if not weeks to recover from. Some "wheat" breads are easier on my system than others. I put wheat in parenthesis, as you have to be really careful and read the label. I have become one of those who, when I find more than handful of ingredients, put it back on the shelf and do something else.

Having grown up through all the scares and "science" that was at one time certain, only later to be disproved, I ignore almost all of the news about that - and eat as much whole, wholesome and fresh foods as possible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I too, have had to drop gluten from my diet. I lost weight and suffer mightily if I accidentally eat something that has flour in it. I didn't know that maybe the processing of the wheat might be the problem. I will click on the link to see if I can do anything with it. Hopefully, I won't get sick from it:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I too, have had to drop gluten from my diet. I lost weight and suffer mightily if I accidentally eat something that has flour in it. I didn't know that maybe the processing of the wheat might be the problem. I will click on the link to see if I can do anything with it. Hopefully, I won't get sick from it:)/QUOTE]

Gluten free grains readily available are; brown rice, corn (tortilla) plus many other grains. A quick flour can be made in most blenders.

Ask a Question