What keeps groundhogs out?

Reaction score
That is not good. I wonder how far down they are burrowed? I wish you the best of luck.

MUCH too far!!! I wish I could just convince them to leave, because I think it's coming to an end they don't want. I have no problem with them....except that they are ruining our home.

Reaction score
MUCH too far!!! I wish I could just convince them to leave, because I think it's coming to an end they don't want. I have no problem with them....except that they are ruining our home.

I hope you are able to solve the problem. I would hate to have them digging through the walls of my basement!

Reaction score
I hope you are able to solve the problem. I would hate to have them digging through the walls of my basement!

So far....we have not solved it. We have so much else going on right now that it's hard to give our full attention to this situation. Trying not to get too nuts about it. We live in an old house in the country and I've told myself more than once: More four-legged creatures have probably lived here over the years than two-legged ones!

Reaction score
So far....we have not solved it. We have so much else going on right now that it's hard to give our full attention to this situation. Trying not to get too nuts about it. We live in an old house in the country and I've told myself more than once: More four-legged creatures have probably lived here over the years than two-legged ones!

I live in the country too and you are right. Over the years our little furry friends can manage to situate themselves right up under us and live quite comfortably. We have this problem with field mice. The weather begins to get cooler and they decide that they need a new warm home and ours is just right.

Reaction score
I live in the country too and you are right. Over the years our little furry friends can manage to situate themselves right up under us and live quite comfortably. We have this problem with field mice. The weather begins to get cooler and they decide that they need a new warm home and ours is just right.

We get that too...and I've resorted to poison. I keep it out, in the place they are prone to visit, throughout the winter. On the woodchuck front: the little boogers were right out there eating apples while I was mowing the lawn this afternoon. I was within 5 feet of one, aiming right for him. He just tucked the apple into his mouth and ran off to the bushes. If only he'd keep his home in the bushes. I try to tell them they're going to meet their end, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on them! ;)

Reaction score
Estimate from a professional: $350-$450. OUCH! I think we have to keep trying other alternatives, since we just can't afford that extra cost right now.

Reaction score
Estimate from a professional: $350-$450. OUCH! I think we have to keep trying other alternatives, since we just can't afford that extra cost right now.

I am so sorry that it will be so much money. I hope that you find something that will work for you. In these hard financial times I think everyone is pinching pennies. Hugs to you!

Reaction score
Since we can't afford a professional, we've decided we have to resort to poison. It obviously wasn't our first choice, or one we came to easily. But the burrowing into the basement has gotten worse. I'm just sick to my stomach about it. So, today we try what we were told is "fool-proof" method: rat poison mixed with peanut butter, dropped into their holes.

Once we are able to finally rid ourselves of this year's batch, we have to repair damage (NOT looking forward to that!) as well as figure out a way to keep others from using well-established holes. I know that digging trenches around the deck/house area, and laying chicken wire in a "L" shape is a plan the professionals use. I'm hoping I can get my sons to pitch in on the labor and make one big "work party" out of it....undying thanks from Mom and pizza at the end of the day as a reward.

Reaction score
The best deterrent we have found are those chirping stakes that you put in the ground (we have three throughout our whole yard). We put them in mainly to keep moles away, but found that the sound kept away all other critters (chipmunks, groundhogs, etc). We just take them out in the winter and replace the battery every spring when we put them back in.

These are the stakes I'm talking about: http://www.amazon.com/Sweeneys-9012-Gopher-Sonic-Spikes/dp/B000SZV6KU

Reaction score
The best deterrent we have found are those chirping stakes that you put in the ground (we have three throughout our whole yard). We put them in mainly to keep moles away, but found that the sound kept away all other critters (chipmunks, groundhogs, etc). We just take them out in the winter and replace the battery every spring when we put them back in.

These are the stakes I'm talking about: http://www.amazon.com/Sweeneys-9012-Gopher-Sonic-Spikes/dp/B000SZV6KU
Thank, Katier72. We seem to have had some success, but I know that, considering there are well-established borrows here, even if we get rid of all of this batch of critters, others will likely enjoy the housing.

Reaction score
Since we can't afford a professional, we've decided we have to resort to poison. It obviously wasn't our first choice, or one we came to easily. But the burrowing into the basement has gotten worse. I'm just sick to my stomach about it. So, today we try what we were told is "fool-proof" method: rat poison mixed with peanut butter, dropped into their holes.

Once we are able to finally rid ourselves of this year's batch, we have to repair damage (NOT looking forward to that!) as well as figure out a way to keep others from using well-established holes. I know that digging trenches around the deck/house area, and laying chicken wire in a "L" shape is a plan the professionals use. I'm hoping I can get my sons to pitch in on the labor and make one big "work party" out of it....undying thanks from Mom and pizza at the end of the day as a reward.

I am sorry that I did not see this sooner. How did it all work out?

Ask a Question