What is this?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone,
This is my first post and I'm a new gardener.
I bought a few seeds and tried growing from seeds from some fruits and veggies.

In one of my starter pots, I attempted some bell peppers that never germinated so I thought I'd add other seeds to repurpose the soil. I think I added watermelon seeds?

Now I have this growing and it doesn't resemble anything I've planted. It's still in its early stages of growth but I have no idea what this is.

Does anyone know what this is?
20230608_083036.jpg
20230608_083043.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Looks like some kind of grass to me but I don't really know. Just wanted to say welcome to the forum :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yea kind of looks like crabgrass. Not sure how it got there but if you leave just a little piece of it when you pull it, it returns. I'm in the crabgrass capitol I think. The one thing I've noticed over the years is if crabgrass wont grow in an area, neither will any other grass.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How did grass get into my indoor starter pots?
Such things are always turning up. Rooted plants are stuck in one spot, but have spent millions of years adapting their seeds to spread them from place to place by just about every means available. There are helicopter seeds and seeds so light they will blow for miles on the wind, seeds that stick in the fur of animals, and even coconuts that can travel thousands of miles on sea currents; mind you I don't suppose many of them will turn up in your pots :) Seriously, you can clean and steam sterilise a piece of ground, and in almost no time at all weeds will start to appear, seeds are amazing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sad..... but how does grass get into an indoor starter pot?
At the place where your seed starting mix was made perhaps a dog walked by and he scratched at a flea and had some of the thousands of seeds a crabgrass plant makes in his fur and transferred one to the mix?

A seed can last for years in the soil and they are very very tiny seeds, easily transferred by just about anything.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I often find something sprouting up in my potting soil along with whatever seed I planted. There have been a few times that I scooped it out and and put it in a pot of it's own to see what grows. But it always turns out to be a weed. I agree with Chuck, there are endless ways a tiny seed could find it's way in there. But hey, on the bright side you know first hand what crab grass looks like now and it didn't make it to your garden so no harm done.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I’ve had that happen.
Most often it’s weed seeds in your “ sterilized” (lol) potting mix!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I reckon seeds sometimes stick to tools like trowels as well. Like I say plants are stuck in one place, rooted to the ground so to speak, and have been evolving seeds to sneak them into new places for millions of years, they are really good at it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Natashaberry79

Latest Threads