What can i do to clear my veg patch of slugs before spring?

Reaction score
I have 2 large vegetable plots that I only ever have average success with. I have in the last few months fenced this area off from the rest of the garden so that is can be treated and not trampled on by man nor beast. This year I am determined I am going to make the most of this vegetable garden and I want a good outage from it.

The issue I have is the soil seems to be a haven for slugs, breeding at an alarming rate and even when I use chemical slug pellets, I suffer immensely from the horrid creatures. It is by its very nature a wet corner that seems to stay wet, a slugs paradise if you will.

Is there anyone here that could suggest a preparation for the soil that I could be doing from the New Year, up to planting time? I would be very grateful for any suggestions, natural or chemical.If it helps, I live in the Sheffield ( East Midlands) area of the UK.

Thank you in advance for any advice offered.

Reaction score
Slugs hate copper. If you can create a line of old copper coins, copper sheeting or foil, or sometimes even wire around your garden, this will sometimes help. If you'd like a prettier way to do this, you can glue old copper coins all over a relatively weatherproof ball (something about softball size), so that the edges touch without leaving very much space between the coins. Depending on the size of your garden you may want two or three of these.

Another old time remedy that can be used in conjunction with the copper is beer. Set out jar lids with beer in them at dusk during the growing season, and replace them in the morning. Supposedly the beer attracts the slugs into the lid, where they drown. Now, I must add here that I have not tried this, because I haven't been having a slug problem, but several friends with slugs have said that beer and copper are the way to go.

And of course salt to kill them when you see them.

Reaction score
I've heard that one can lay down boards. Small ones that are flat enough to make it dark and comfy for slugs. In the morning, the slugs have stuck themselves to the boards and you can remove them. I've not tried it, because I've never had a slug problem, but it wouldn't hurt to try it.

Guinea fowl may eat slugs, but they are noisy birds.

Ask a Question