Walks and Astronomy in Wales

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any members here that are into astronomy? I got a telescope as a birthday present from Becky last year, but there haven't been many opportunities to use it without light pollution (I normally would just look at the moon from the garden).

Well, last week I got my chance as a few of us went to North Wales for the weekend and there wasn't anyone else around for miles :D. Very minimal light pollution, so we took the telescope along and set it up (there may have been a few beers involved too!).

We saw a few very faint nebulas, moon closeups and Saturn. One of the guys I went with was able to link his camera up to the telescope, so I hope I'll get to see those shots soon and I will stick a few in this thread :). We didn't get the tracking working perfectly, as the base of the telescope wasn't level - so I hope they turn out ok.

Here's a few photos that Iain (very similar name to mine!) took, where you can see how dark it was at the cottage... plus a couple of photos from up Cadair Idris (a very tiring walk!):

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Beautiful country. It looks like it may have been cold also on your trip. Thanks for sharing your photos.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Smashing stuff Ian :)

Used to live in North Wales, still remember how clear the skies were, it's not bad down here but it helps to go behind the cliffs to cut off the light from the land.

Wonder if it would help back home if you attached a foot of plastic drainpipe to the end of the scope.

Theory behind that being that you can see the stars in daylight if you're down a well, cuts out the light from the sides.

Have a look at the sword in Orion, in the south east skies at the moment. You should be able to see the Horsehead nebula, which is actually 2 nebulae, one light, one dark.

Also, Betelgeuse, the star on his left shoulder, been waiting for that one to explode since I was a kid :eek: Might already have, just that the light won't reach us for 640 years :(

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Funny you mention the Sword of Orion, as I think (but not sure!) that that's what the 2nd photo is. When I get some photos from the other guy in our group we should have some better star shots, as his camera was interfaced direct to the telescope.

I think if we drive about 20 mins from where we live, we should be able to cut down on most of the light - so we're going to give that a go once it stops raining!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I think you're right there Ian, I couldn't see very well earlier, had the Sun on my screen :)

I've not seen Venus recently, but I have seen a phase of it thru the scope, just like a phase of the moon.

Try pointing it at the Milky Way, it's amazing how many stars there are in it :)

Ours is just one of one hundred billion galaxies in the known universe, each one containing an average of a 100 billion stars :eek:

Think I need a drink now :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
This is actually a great shot, in the first picture you can see even better constellations, you have Gemini which is right above Orion, to the left you have Canis Minor and Canis Major (Big Dog and Little Dog), under Orion to the right corner is Taurus. The second really is a nice picture of Orion, you can see Betelgeuse so clear. I star watch quite often, I like when we get the meteor showers. The Perseids this past summer was very nice, although in the beginning the weather was rainy it broke before it was all over and there were some lovely falling stars. I think they are lucky. (y) My son's girlfriend told me that there is a way that you can take photos using the telescope, they have been hot to get a nice telescope for Christmas. I think I would enjoy taking pictures like that, I look at the stars for hours when we get a nice clear night, getting great pictures like your would be a plus in my book.

Ask a Question