Trellising squash out of a tomato planter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! My wife and I are aggressively amateur gardeners in the mountains of eastern Arizona. Zone 6 around 7,000 feet. Last season we added an above ground planter to our garden, it is around 8 feet by 26 inches wide by 20 inches deep. This year we are planning on planting tomato, tomatillo and basil in it. I recently saw some videos of zucchini and squash being trellised. All of her attempts to grow cucurbits have been battered by insects and birds. I am wondering if it would be viable to set up an arched trellis out of our planter and training the squash or whatever to the trellis keeping it above the insects and putting the roots into better drained and better quality soil than what we have in our in ground planters. The arch would provide area for vegetation to grow away from the tomatoes and let the fruit hang below the veg where it would be easier to pick and out of the sometimes scorching mountain sun, and possibly less tempting to birds.

If this is viable would you recommend one or two arches on the short side or a single long arch along the north side of the planter.

We want to maximize our yield out of the above ground planter as all of our in ground beds have been very hit or miss. They tend to get water logged if we have a good monsoon season

20240324_122643.jpg
20240324_122623.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
That raised bed is very similar to ones I have in my garden. An arch of cattle panel going from the side of one bed to the side of the bed next to it making a tunnel is a very common design method and has worked for several people. You should be able to get a cattle panel at the local farm-and-fleet type store.

I grow all my cucumbers up trellis and have selected a vining type of summer squash that is resistant to squash vine borrer. This rampicante type (Baker Creek link) is a dual use summer and winter squash that works well around my place.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks! My wife will be glad to know this should be a viable plan. We only have the one planter for now and won't have a chance to add another this season but we will enjoy maximizing our yield out of the one.

Ask a Question