Tomatoes and Eggplants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I was at the fair here in the Philippines last month, and I got seed packs from one of the booth. I was very excited to plant them because having a vegetable patch is one of my dreams. However, after I planted my tomato and eggplant seeds, birds started to eat them while the okras were left untouched. Suffice it to say that all my tomato and eggplant seedlings are now gone, and I am discouraged to plant more.

Anybody has tips on how I can save my precious seedlings? Thanks very much!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was at the fair here in the Philippines last month, and I got seed packs from one of the booth. I was very excited to plant them because having a vegetable patch is one of my dreams. However, after I planted my tomato and eggplant seeds, birds started to eat them while the okras were left untouched. Suffice it to say that all my tomato and eggplant seedlings are now gone, and I am discouraged to plant more.

Anybody has tips on how I can save my precious seedlings? Thanks very much!
Did you directly sow your seeds into the garden or did you start them in a container? If you started them in a container let them get a lot bigger before transplanting into the garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Did you directly sow your seeds into the garden or did you start them in a container? If you started them in a container let them get a lot bigger before transplanting into the garden.

No, I planted them directly. I guess that was a mistake. It also happened that sparrows ate my seedlings. My mother suggested that I make a cover for the seedlings, but I don't know what materials to use that won't kill my plants.

Thank you for the advice though. I will definitely do that next time! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No, I planted them directly. I guess that was a mistake. It also happened that sparrows ate my seedlings. My mother suggested that I make a cover for the seedlings, but I don't know what materials to use that won't kill my plants.

Thank you for the advice though. I will definitely do that next time! :)
I am not sure of you seasons there but I was there in mid 60's and I am slightly familiar with your climate. If you plant tomato and egg plant seeds again in little pots you will still have time for a harvest. Especially if you plant cherry type tomatos and the finger type of eggplant. If you keep the plants away from a frost (which I doubt you will have) and transplant them when they have at least 3 sets of true leaves you shouldn't have a problem with birds. Caterpillars maybe but Bt will fix that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I am not sure of you seasons there but I was there in mid 60's and I am slightly familiar with your climate. If you plant tomato and egg plant seeds again in little pots you will still have time for a harvest. Especially if you plant cherry type tomatos and the finger type of eggplant. If you keep the plants away from a frost (which I doubt you will have) and transplant them when they have at least 3 sets of true leaves you shouldn't have a problem with birds. Caterpillars maybe but Bt will fix that.

Thank you for the advice! I will do that. Fortunately, I have more seeds stored, so I can start planting this weekend already. I know it's kind of silly, but I really hate sparrows. They have a bad reputation for eating seedlings here. As for frost, no we wouldn't have that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You know, your mother was right. There are wide variety of things you could use depending on the number of plants you plant to have. You can use floating row covers or a cold frame - it really depends on how many plants you are starting and how much of an area you need to protect. Even after the seedlings grow into plants, they will likely still need protection from moths laying eggs on them.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some type of light weight mesh material similar to pantyhouse will also work to keep your plants protected from the birds, Chicken mesh comes to mind also. I think if you go to your local hardware store and tell them what you need to do they will have plenty of suggestions for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Some type of light weight mesh material similar to pantyhouse will also work to keep your plants protected from the birds, Chicken mesh comes to mind also. I think if you go to your local hardware store and tell them what you need to do they will have plenty of suggestions for you.

Great idea Pat! I've been thinking of making my own miniature floating row covers for low growing and younger plants as I expand the crops in garden #3. Pantyhose are cheap and they would let rainwater through! Now I just need a good source of hoops, though I will likely just have to make them custom to my planters.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
ChanellG try going to the ;pca; 2nd jand store there maybe something there you can adopt to make work for your situation. I have often found things that I can repurpose to what I need it for and not spend a lot of money.

Ask a Question