Tomato sprouts look malformed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Actually I just looked at the forecast for this week and the temperature is supposed to be in the high 60's or low 70's.

Thanks,
Nick
If it were me I would take them outside into the most direct sunlight you can find and bring them in at night.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
If it were me I would take them outside into the most direct sunlight you can find and bring them in at night.
I can certainly do that. Right now it's 37 outside so I would have to wait until later in the day, which will be the case most days I assume. I'm guessing I could get them outside from 11:00 - 6:00. Is it ok to have them under the light all the rest of the time? I assume plants don't need to sleep (e.g. take a break from the light).

Thanks,
Nick

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
By the way, my plan was that I would keep them inside under the lights and on my heat source until I had thought that all seeds that were going to germinate had germinated as I think they need warmer temperatures to germinate. Once I thought all the ones that would germinate had germinated, then I would try to get them outside as long as the temps were somewhere around 65 or above.

I'm somewhere between 50% and 70% germination rate on my tomatoes. I was hoping for something closer to 85% - 90%. Only 1 out of 20 peppers have germinated. I think I've read peppers take longer and need more heat.

Thanks,
Nick

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
By the way, my plan was that I would keep them inside under the lights and on my heat source until I had thought that all seeds that were going to germinate had germinated as I think they need warmer temperatures to germinate. Once I thought all the ones that would germinate had germinated, then I would try to get them outside as long as the temps were somewhere around 65 or above.

I'm somewhere between 50% and 70% germination rate on my tomatoes. I was hoping for something closer to 85% - 90%. Only 1 out of 20 peppers have germinated. I think I've read peppers take longer and need more heat.

Thanks,
Nick
When my tomato seedlings get their first set of true leaves and the low temps are above 50F I leave them outside. Peppers do take a warmer soil temp to get good germination. The way I do mine is put them in my gas oven and the pilot light keeps the temp at 88F. I sprout tomatoes in 5 days and peppers in 8.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
When my tomato seedlings get their first set of true leaves and the low temps are above 50F I leave them outside. Peppers do take a warmer soil temp to get good germination. The way I do mine is put them in my gas oven and the pilot light keeps the temp at 88F. I sprout tomatoes in 5 days and peppers in 8.
So do you think my current tomato seedlings are too leggy and are a lost cause? Do I need to start them over again?

Thanks,
Nick

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So do you think my current tomato seedlings are too leggy and are a lost cause? Do I need to start them over again?

Thanks,
Nick
They aren't a lost cause but I would start over. From what I can see they are about 3 inches tall already and haven't even started to get their true leaves yet. You can probably still use them but as transplants they will always be spindly and leggy and you will either have to plant them really deep or on their side and staked at planting with bamboo skewers or something so the wind doesn't break them down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, third time's a charm the saying goes.

Is it too late to start again?

Thanks,
Nick
Too late? That depends on the variety, determinate or indeterminate, large or small fruited. The larger the fruit the longer it will take. Tomatoes only set fruit reliably between 68F-76F NIGHTTIME LOW TEMPS. You will probably have a better crop if you plant determinates. Cherrys will produce all summer long as they are not as temp sensitive as the others

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I've planted beefsteak and roma. I don't know what determinates and indeterminates are.

Thanks,
Nick

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've planted beefsteak and roma. I don't know what determinates and indeterminates are.

Thanks,
Nick
A determinate variety reaches a certain maturity, size and production. It only gets X size, then it will not set more fruit and the fruit ripens more or less at the same time. An indeterminate will keep growing and blooming until the first frost, "theoretically". All of the Roma's that I know of are determinates. There are many beefsteak varieties. Mostly, beefsteak means large to giant size fruit and most of them are indeterminate. But you must remember that the bigger the fruit the longer it takes to reach maturity and normally the larger the fruit the less number of fruit will set unless you have a very good spring temperature wise. Like I said, tomatoes only set fruit in certain temps. They will make blooms but not set fruit if the temps are too high or too low and if that happens the blooms will open, look good for a few days and then fall off

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I believe the Roma's are determinate. Meaning they only grow about 3 or 4 feet then put out tomatoes. The Beefsteak's are probably indeterminate which means they'll just keep growing and putting out tomatoes until frost or whatever it is eventually makes them give up. :)

Ask a Question