Tomato Ripeness

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
View attachment 39748 View attachment 39749 View attachment 39750 I’m going to pick this Guy based on what I read it’s a Cherokee Purple and I think matured early because it was on the plant when I purchased it from the nursery, the plant has since grown over 4’ and has over 20 successful flowers! Most are now about 3/4 “ . I can squeeze it and it’s got a little give it’s not rock hard but slightly firm! I know it’s not the color of a usual CP but I really think it matured early from the shock during the transplant to the earth box

That doesn't look like a Cherokee Purple

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well I’m bummed out after reading all this. I have Roma tomato’s and I’ve picked a ton because I read online that once you see a hint of orange it’s best to pick them so the plant can focus on ripening the others.

Attachments

• 27F00337-7793-4004-82D7-D9BE5E785199.jpeg
    27F00337-7793-4004-82D7-D9BE5E785199.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 227
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well I’m bummed out after reading all this. I have Roma tomato’s and I’ve picked a ton because I read online that once you see a hint of orange it’s best to pick them so the plant can focus on ripening the others.
I pick them early to prevent birds, animals and insects from damaging them. A tomato is sexually mature at the first hint of color. This has nothing to do with the ripening of other fruits, as a fruit with a hint of color will ripen just as fast being picked early as fully ripened red or any other color of fruit will on the plant. If you don't have to worry about birds, animals or insects let them ripen on the plant. You will not see or taste ANY difference.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I pick them early to prevent birds, animals and insects from damaging them. A tomato is sexually mature at the first hint of color. This has nothing to do with the ripening of other fruits, as a fruit with a hint of color will ripen just as fast being picked early as fully ripened red or any other color of fruit will on the plant. If you don't have to worry about birds, animals or insects let them ripen on the plant. You will not see or taste ANY difference.

Okay yes I read this and remember you telling me this before but I was starting to think that I was supposed to let Roma’s ripe all the way. Good to know it’s all tomatoes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I sometimes pick when they are blushing but most of the time leave them a bit longer, with the exception of my Cherokee Purples.

Tidbit from the "Gardening Know How" on the web...
"When to Pick Tomatoes Tomatoes are gassy — I mean they emit a gas. Ethylene gas is produced by fully formed mature green tomatoes. Inside the mature green tomato, two growth hormones change and cause the production of the gas, which in turn ages the cells of the fruit resulting in softening and the loss of the green color turning into a red shade. The ethylene increases the carotenoids (red and yellow colors) and decreases the chlorophyll (green color). Because of this process, tomatoes are one of the only vegetables, I mean fruit, which can be picked before it is completely ripened. Harvest time for tomatoes then should ideally occur when the fruit is a mature green and then allowed to ripen off the vine. This prevents splitting or bruising and allows for a measure of control over the ripening process."

CP's
28491717557_2f02493cf4_b.jpg

three of these can be picked now, the one in the back has just blushed.
43380949211_091c7bdf6f_b.jpg

Here's a chart that may help.

http://www.lagorio.com/assets/pdf/lagorio-tomato-guide.pdf

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I pick at almost any sign of red. There is a wide window of acceptance. What I don't eat I make into pressure canned juice. Yours are perfect to me.

Ask a Question