Tomato recommendation

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I bought seeds for something called a 'Bobcat' tomato this year. It was a variety I wasn't familiar with, but it sounded good in the write up so I figured I'd try a few. I am pleased to say, this plant has produced some EXCELLENT tomatoes.

20150722_123047_zpsxsightnv.jpg

They are meaty and firm and very flavorful- plus they are one of the first maturing tomatoes from the garden. Honestly these are winners in my book and I will definitely look for this variety again.

These were purchased from the Territorial Seed Company - they are a little expensive, but I've found things there that I haven't found elsewhere, so I shop there. They also have a nice catalog. :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Nice one, mine are nowhere near ripe yet,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Nice one, mine are nowhere near ripe yet,
Down here where I am tomato season has come and gone already. I set out fall tomatoes last week. And those Bobcat tomatoes? They are a new hybrid that came out last year and work well into hot weather. I grew a few last year. Good tomatoes

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Down here where I am tomato season has come and gone already. I set out fall tomatoes last week. And those Bobcat tomatoes? They are a new hybrid that came out last year and work well into hot weather. I grew a few last year. Good tomatoes

It's hard to ripen things so close to the polar ice cap :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Those bobcats look awfully good. I've never heard of them.

I'm not having the greatest harvest this year so far; the only tomatoes ripe so far are yellow pear cherry tomatoes. Although I think several plants are suddenly going to start producing like crazy in the next few weeks. We are finally getting some hot, dry (well, humid, but at least not raining), sunny weather.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well now you've got my mouth watering, @Arielphf!
C:\Users\Lin\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif

You're welcome, Becky. ;)

... I set out fall tomatoes last week.

I didn't even know there was such a thing as 'fall tomatoes' - LOL! Thanks for that info. I had never heard of them so it was sort of a shot in the dark, but I am very happy with them so far. I usually buy this heirloom mix from Park Seed because it gives me a few of each variety but I wanted some good, staple tomatoes for canning and eating. This Bobcat sounded like it would be the perfect fit and for once I feel there was truth in the advertising. J

It's hard to ripen things so close to the polar ice cap
C:\Users\Lin\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif

Awww! That's so SAD! I have a friend in Norfolk along the coast and even she gets tomatoes - though you might try what another friend of mine in St. Petersburg, RU (also near the polar ice cap) does - they pick them at the end of the season while they are still green, then ripen them in the house one at a time as they need them. The first time she'd ever had a vine ripened tomato was when she came to the states. HUGS!

We are finally getting some hot, dry (well, humid, but at least not raining), sunny weather.

Same here in PA. The end of July looks drier than the whole last two months have been! I will hopefully see lots of tomatoes coming on, not just the early ones.

Sorry about the HUGE picture (though it does make an impact, doesn't it?). I posted this on my phone and it condensed the picture down, apparently. Now that I am reading the thread on my computer, the photo looks enormous!

Ask a Question