Tiny Green Balls Appeared next to my Onion

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, I have netted my raised garden bed because of several pest issues, but a storm started a couple days ago, and when I woke up today to check things, the net was gone, and my onion plant was not only chewed up, but also had these tiny dark green spheres lying around the base. It's still storming, so I'll try to get pictures once it's calmed down a bit.

Please note, I made the soil for my bed, I have never put any fertilizer other than manure or worm compost that I also make myself. I just transplanted the onion a few weeks ago, because I was keeping it in a pot (due to the constant attacks on my raised garden bed).

I'm still trying to learn why the pests are so interested in my raised bed, since they rarely touch my in-ground garden area, but I can't find anything online about what this might be. Please help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
17127695817014548087409261579901.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a word with @zigs and he says it may well be frass - in other words poop that the leek moth caterpillars have left behind. They do lots of munching and that looks like the result,
Welcome to the forums joles :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've never seen that before either. It does look like poo that's turned green from the onion stalk itself. They must have really been munching away for that to be. Sneak out there and see if you see something.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, looks like the leaves have been eaten, I've seen green poo like that when Cabbage White cattterpillars have been munching away on my Broccoli :eek:

Last edited:

Ask a Question