"The Night Visitor"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The camera in its new position opposite the doorway in the fence, recorded no movement through it.

door.JPG

However, the one opposite the hedgehog house did.

Hettie made only one appearance around 10.00 pm.

03.JPG

On her way to the little food bowl on her "patio." for some semi-moist hedgehog pellets.

IMAG0005.JPG

There's some unwanted hay in front of the house. I'll quietly sweep that away later today.

The fact that she didn't come out other than just the once, suggests she may possibly, be preparing to be a mum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Do hedgehog names all begin with H ? :)

Pleased for you, there must be quite a population in your area.

Not really.

I think the most popular name is "Spike."

My wife is in charge of animal and bird names.
That's why when a female fox had her six cubs under our summer house four years ago, she was called Fiona.
The "top banana" blackbird of the three pairs that visit our garden, is "Bert."

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Those are lovely clear pictures. The camera by the little door is very well positioned. As for the maternity wing, maybe I should start pacing.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
'Bruce' ?. She never went through that little door did she?

There'd be no chance with her constantly stretched out arms.

Anyway.....
I ought to change the title to "The Night Visitors."

P1000637.JPG

♫ There's gonna be a showdown! ♫

Well not really..... the camera picked up a lot of snuffling by the one on the left as it backed away, but the other one wasn't aggressive, in fact not taking a lot of notice.

The first image last night outside the house was around 10.15pm.

This one by the doorway in the fence was at 10.16 pm, so this must be the second one.

My wife has suggested we put the other house out down at the bottom of the garden. I'll have to have a think about that.

IMAG0003.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Well.."I wasn't allowed much thinking time, before a decision was made."
The second house is in position in the back corner of the garden almost out of sight.

P1000640.JPG

It's up on two bricks so clear of the ground and there's a bit of York stone in front of the entrance for use as a step. This house has a lot of insulation, as it was a "winter house." So I've drilled a few half inch ventilation holes at the top of the side of the house, protected by the roof overhang. There's plenty of fresh hay in it.

I've put a couple of bricks on top of it to prevent foxes trying to get in it, should they want to try.
I've repositioned the camera to cover the entrance.

I'm not going to leave any food outside it until it gets a permanent occupier, if at all.
I left a saucer with some cat food outside Hettie's house last night, but neither hedgehog touched it, so I won't bother again. I'll just stick to dry and semi-moist hedgehog and suet pellets.

P1000638.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The second hedgehog house had a visitor last night.

An unwelcome one!

IMAG0003.JPG

It tried to get its fat head in the entrance.
At the moment the house is still vacant. So I used the "porch" I made for the hedgehog feeder which is presently not in use. Where 'arry was all, "Winner! Winner! Chicken dinner!" Hetti turned her nose up at cat food even when I put the dish outside her door.

P1000658.JPG

The bit of stirling board screwed to the top will also keep any rain off the entrance. The other house has an oversize roof so that's OK.

P1000659.JPG

Hetti didn't wander far from her house last night and had an early night after clearing the pellets provided.
She started earlier, just after 9.00pm.
The definition of the videos is very good. She did quite a bit of scratching, but I couldn't see any ticks on her.

IMAG0001.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
There were only four photos/videos on both cameras. The one near the back fence showed a hedgehog visiting the new house. Both lots of images were from around 10.00pm. There would have been a lot more activity that was unrecorded.
So there's a problem with both cameras, both are indicating "low battery" but both have six volt adapters plugged into them. So why did they stop working?
Both have 5mtr leads to a 6v power supply, so maybe the resistance of the cables are dropping the voltage enough to make the cameras select the batteries?

Anyway, I bought some Duracell batteries today eighteen quid for the sixteen needed. They are in now, as well as the adapter leads, I'd previously cleaned their connectors with fine wire wool.
The indicators show the batteries as full charge. I've checked all the settings again and formatted the SD cards, so we should be good to go.
I've -mailed "Apeman" service department and explained the situation. I want to know if I'm wasting my time with these six volt adapters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Well, the new batteries did the trick, there were 80 photos and videos of Hetti around her house from 9.30 pm until she went indoors for the last time at 4.45am.
She did go in and out a few times, never going far from the camera, as if she felt the need to keep checking on her home.
She did go through the gap in the wire fence to presumably get a drink of water from the bowl that's on a small slab of stone just outside the fence. I keep it there, as if it were on the ground in front of her house she'd tip it over, like she does her food bowl every night, she's that clumsy.
She doesn't seem interested in patrolling the rest of the garden. She must find enough food between that in the bowl and the bird feeder to the left of the house, out of range of the camera.

Keeping an eye out here at 2.30am.

IMAG0039.JPG

She is looking quite "porky."

IMAG0059.JPG

The other camera picked up 8 images and videos between half ten and 3.45am.

Must be a different hedgehog as a couple of photos were within three seconds of those on the other camera.

I think it's still at the "inspection stage" for this one as the last image is of it wandering off.

IMAG0001.JPG

I've received a rapid response from the support dept. of the trail cameras, asking some questions and offering advice.
She said the cameras should work with a low battery strength, if they've adapters plugged in, but didn't seem to understand that the length of cables might cause a slight drop in voltage causing them not to work. I've asked her to try to get more information.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The cameras are both this one.

Ask a Question