Is This Common Nightshade?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a (right on the border between two)
Country
United Kingdom
I debated having a poll but I figure people can simply type their responses. This is growing on my grandmother's balcony, about an hours travel from Venice (so in the Dolomites). We suppose because it is a fruit bearing plant, that a bird must have pooped the seeds into the container.

The fruit does appear similar to the Garden-huckleberry, but I do not believe it's that (I think the leaf shape is different). Other thing it could be is `Deadly Nightshade`. No images of flowers, just berries and leaves. Obviously if it's deadly it might not be the best idea to keep but, but the berries to look nice at least.

Attachments

• IMG-20220122-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220122-WA0000.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG20220122194017.jpg
    IMG20220122194017.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 21
Reaction score
Country
United States
It is not Deadly Nightshade or belladonna (Atropa belladonna).

This a Black Nightshade, either Solanum nigrum or a closely related species such as Solanum americanum. The fruit should not be eaten as the presence of toxic alkaloids has been reported. However there are are cultivated strains that are claimed to be safe to eat.
Still, there is no aggressively need to weed it out. It is an interesting herb and the fruit is food for birds.

Ask a Question