The Gardens of Malmaison

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Josephine, the wife of Napoleon, purchased the lovely park at Malmaison together with its chateau in France.
At the Chateau de Malmaison Josephine collected and cultivated plants from all around the world. She planted three flowers that recalled her husband's conquests: the Lily of the Nile, Parma violets, and Damietta rose.

Lily of the Nile

Parma Violets
http://www.photopaulm.com/2017/01/20/parma-violets

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
This is really a wonderful thing to plant flowers in order to remind the husband. I myself am a flower boyfriend, I have planted several flower trees which are my feet to walk

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Josephine created an extensive collection of roses. Plants were gathered from her native Martinique and from other places around the world. She grew some 250 varieties of roses.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
In 1804 Josephine decided to assemble in her garden a sample of every living rose. She ordered many of her roses from English nurseries, principally Lee & Hammersmith, where she spent 2,600 pounds in 1803 alone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
In 1801 Empress Josephine employed architects Charles Percier and Pierre-Francois-Leonard Fontaine. They enclosed the park and built stables and hot houses. However, their work was not to her taste. Later, she hired architect Louis Martin Berthault.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
In 1804 Josephine decided to assemble in her garden a sample of every living rose. She ordered many of her roses from English nurseries, principally Lee & Hammersmith, where she spent 2,600 pounds in 1803 alone.
So it turns out some intrepid soul put a internet calculator up that will allow one to see the 2600 pound expense in current value. 265,064 pounds in 2019. I am not sure even @alp spends that much on flowers.:unsure:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
So it turns out some intrepid soul put a internet calculator up that will allow one to see the 2600 pound expense in current value. 265,064 pounds in 2019. I am not sure even @alp spends that much on flowers.:unsure:
@DirtMechanic, Recall that Josephine would become Empress of the French on December 2, 1804. Obviously Napoleon had a lot of money before he became Emperor.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@DirtMechanic, Recall that Josephine would become Empress of the French on December 2, 1804. Obviously Napoleon had a lot of money before he became Emperor.
Ohhh I am tempted to remark on what happened after but no. I did go see Napoleans tomb. 7 coffins, one inside the other, each carved of stone. It is remarkable how beloved he was\is by the French.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
It is recorded that Napoleon was not very pleased with Josephine for preferring to create an English garden.

Ask a Question