Tennis

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I watch a lot of tennis on TV.

There's a huge number of tournaments scheduled for 2024.

So that tennis fans can be made aware, the BBC have produced a permanent calendar of them on their TV, "Red Button News Service." which runs to nineteen pages, where they list all of them... Well... nearly all of them....... just one omission.....

err... a big one...... which is scheduled to be staged between 1st and 14th July, unless they know something I don't.

P1010453.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe they haven't got the filming rights to it Sean? Maybe it's on Sky or Womble TV or something :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The calendar is a list of all the ATP and WTA tournaments, few of which will be seen on BBC channels.

Wimbledon is one of the "free to air" events like the Cup Final
The BBC always have a lot of channels devoted to it.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The calendar is a list of all the ATP and WTA tournaments, few of which will be seen on BBC channels.

Wimbledon is one of the "free to air" events like the Cup Final
The BBC always have a lot of channels devoted to it.

Then they've probably worked out a way of getting folk to pay for something they get for free. They're very good at doing that. The licence payers paid for Doctor Who, but if you want to watch the repeats you have to buy the DVD's from them.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wimbledon will, as usual, be covered on Radio 5 and 5 Live; both free to listen to while you continue gardening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Wimbledon will, as usual, be covered on Radio 5 and 5 Live; both free to listen to while you continue gardening.

Or, as I always do, leave the gardening and duck into something like my summerhouse and watch it in there.

P1030089.JPG

They've not changed the red button calendar yet.
Roland Garros is there, as is Flushing Meadows, now called the Billie Jean King Tennis Center, but still no Wimbledon.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I watch a lot of tennis on TV.

There's a huge number of tournaments scheduled for 2024.

So that tennis fans can be made aware, the BBC have produced a permanent calendar of them on their TV, "Red Button News Service." which runs to nineteen pages, where they list all of them... Well... nearly all of them....... just one omission.....

err... a big one...... which is scheduled to be staged between 1st and 14th July, unless they know something I don't.

View attachment 101447Good on you, but why is this on a gardening forum?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
@mkmiraglia It's on a gardening forum because Wimbledon is an essential part of the English Summer. It's as English as Strawberries and Cream, which are also a part of Wimbledon.

It's also in the General Chat section, where we can talk about anything we like as long as it's legal and not rude to other members :)

Members do have other hobbies and interests as well as gardening and you'll find we often discuss these as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
@mkmiraglia It's on a gardening forum because Wimbledon is an essential part of the English Summer. It's as English as Strawberries and Cream, which are also a part of Wimbledon.

It's also in the General Chat section, where we can talk about anything we like as long as it's legal and not rude to other members :)

Members do have other hobbies and interests as well as gardening and you'll find we often discuss these as well.

Yep there's more to life than gardening, at the moment there's nothing to do outside.
I'm watching the tennis from Abu Dhabi. Emma Raducanu is up next playing Marie Bouzková who's ranked 36, so it'll be a stiff test for her.

It's 70f out there at the moment and some spectators are wearing coats.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@mkmiraglia You again ! What a lovely, friendly and sunny personality you have. Is your problem with everyone else on the forum - or just the English members?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Emma showed a lot of "ring rust" at the beginning of the first set, losing her serve twice but breaking back each time to level at 4-4, then she ran away with the set at 6-4. having won four games in a row. Into the second set now. The spectators are "behind Emma," There's probably a lot of ex-pats out here, but she has such a pleasant personality, others like her too. A lot of that is that she's unique, she's had her many medical problems, but remains the only player to win a slam, including qualifying, so ten matches, all 2-0.

She ran out 6-1 winner in the second set against a player who was really playing well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I don't have a problem with any members. I just don't like to waste my time.

The easiest way of not wasting time, is to not read posts that don't interest you, let alone respond to them. Just scroll down. That's what I do. But please yourself.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't have a problem with any members. I just don't like to waste my time.
Well don't waste it then - go elsewhere. You don't have to read 'time wasting' stuff - it's your own choice, nobody made you. Try using a bit of common sense, for goodness sake you have only been a member of this forum for 5 minutes - go find a better one. Bye bye.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Some more wins for Brits today.

Harriet Dart beat Anna Bondar 6-4 7-6 in the WTA125 Transylvanian Open, (Damm it Janet!)

Heather Watson suprisingly beat Veronika Kudermetova 6-3, 7-5 in the WTA500 AbuDhabi. A timely win.
She was originally scheduled to play Jalena Ostapenko, who seems to have bailed out of that tournament.

Thirty-six year-old Andy Murray (49) lost to twenty-three year-old Tomáš Macháč (64) 7-5, 6-4 in the first round of an ATP250 tournament in Marseilles. He made a lot of unforced errors, at times he seemed a bit too casual. Maybe this should be his last year?

Ask a Question