Stump

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just wondering if anyone out there knows what they would do with a large stump left after a tree has been cut down. Now I am left with a stump that has lily-of-the-valley growing around it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
we had a few trees taken down about 6 years ago, those stumps where bulbs or short planting were about it I piled some soil on top of the stump and let mother nature work on it. two of those stumps developed a soft center, so I shoveled out the soft wood, and put soil in it, then planted a few of my extra hardy geraniums which now are cascading over the edge. I have also places a flat pave stone on the edge and put a decorative garden statue on it. But---in the long run will leave them to rot out naturally. However, -----there was another stump that had nothing growing around it, so I kept piling dry twigs, limbs, ect. and used it as a burn spot, after only perhaps 3 years of burning on top of that stump it finally went to level. So took our heavy truck and ran over it flatting it out more. Today you can hardly see where it was, grass is growing nicely over that area.

but of course you could call a company who does stump drilling, I heard the cost is pretty high.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have ivy growing over the one in my garden and stand a pot with a pelargonium on it in summer, but I once saw someone on here who siad he made a small hollow in the top and tipped the hot coals from his barbecue into it and burnt it out.

Ask a Question