Stump removal

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was wondering if it is possible to remove these stumps with a 69-in Digging Bar or if I need to get a stump grinder?

DSC_0010.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG

This is what I have:

Is it feasible or are they too large? Thought I would ask before I kill myself trying.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
Being in that proximity to the structure I would excavate around those with hand tools and expose roots. As I encountered a root I'd wash it off with a garden hose and cut the root with a Sawsall

After all feeder roots were cut, if there is a tap root I'd grind that out with the tip of my chain saw. Consider all of this speculation because we're going into the un-known as every tree is mostly unique.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would be a bit concerned about the stump being very close to the building for a stump grinder, although that`s the quickest way. What trees were they? That could influence the best kind of removal.
There is another way which requires much less effort but a lot more patience. If these are sawn down lower - as low as possible, and you drill some nice big holes down into the roots, fill the holes with as much epsom salts as possible and cover with black plastic (firmly fixed on) they will rot down in about twelve months.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
EDIT:
I failed to mention, unless you are 100% positive where all of your utilities are located, this would be a good time to consider doing a 1 call for utility locations. It can be rather expensive if lines are cut and sometimes dangerous.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at the new shoots on the tree in picture 1 suggests to me it's a Cordyline. If that's correct then it will have a tap root. I would be inclined to use the method that Tetters has suggested in post #3 for both tree stumps.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wondered about that one, and thought it might be pine or similar. There is no chance of that stump producing new shoots from the bottom, and it will rot down well if given the big overdose of epsom salts as I described.
The good thing about this method is that although it requires some patience, the epsom salts that might leech out to surrounding plants will only feed them - the salts will only be lethal to the stumps you need to get rid of....so it`s win win :D

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nit picking doesn`t really help Esther does it. We are only trying to be helpful for axescot.

And it's been helpful. The Epsom salts are a good idea. When I was doing research on how to do this, some people will cut it down to a lower stump, hollow it out, and use it as a planter. This might be the best idea yet.

Ask a Question