Strange unidentified fruit

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Ireland
hi all,

I was taking a walk through the countryside today and found these berries by the side of the road, could someone please tell me what they are? I have no idea

20170408_164733.jpg
20170408_164738.jpg
20170408_164741.jpg

I was thinking of maybe taking a cutting next time if they are edible for my garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I don't know this bush but the output of fruit is really impressive. I hope someone will come along and ID it for you. The foliage is very pretty. I wonder if it could be a species of elderberry?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Ireland
maybe i could grow them for the birds so they eat the berries on it instead of my fruit bushes?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
That sounds like a good idea, the birds love them but they are somewhat poisonous to people...too bad they are not some kind of elderberry. If you have the space, it is an attractive plant but i don't know how invasive it might be.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Definitely Ivy. The trouble with them is that the birds spread the seeds all over the garden. We spend our lives pulling out ivy seedlings.
Ivy flowers are a great source of late pollen for bees. Our hedge is often covered in bees in September/October, feasting away.
Ivy flowers and sets seeds when it is mature and the leaves are different shape too. If you take a cutting from the mature stems, you get what is known as an Ivy tree as it keeps its different leaves and non-clinging habit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Ireland
right,i dontlike the sound of constantly pullingout ivy seedlings so ill just leaveit i think , plus it might attract brids that would branch out and eat my other fruit too maybe, and i know bees are important but everytime one comes close to me i freak out as i dont want to be stung lol

Ask a Question