Sparrowville

Reaction score
This was put up behind a housing development in my town:

12623948-large.jpg

Reaction score
Ha like it. Are those really nest boxes for sparrows? In the UK they are just about the most common garden bird you can get. Some would even call them a pest because if in big numbers they deter other birds from visiting the garden. They also build nests in trees/bushes.Never heard of them using nest boxes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is so cute! Sparrows are adorable little birds, they always seem so cheerful, it's very nice that they have such a colorful place to live:D

Reaction score
I think the name was meant to be more of a play on words, since there's an area around here called Eltingville. The article in the local paper said any birds of the appropriate size (as determined by the hole bored in front) were welcome.

I wonder if there's a plan in place to deal with all the droppings, though.

Reaction score
I think this is cute, It's always nice to provide a habit in your own garden. I have a whole bunch of gourds that I was planning on making into birdhouse.

Reaction score
Gourd birdhouses would look awesome! It seems only fitting to use such organic shapes and materials. I hope you'll post pictures when you make them.

Reaction score
I haven't seen sparrows in a long time. They are non existent in the city.. though they used to be real pests at one time. I took my son on a long drive just to see some sparrows last month. I feared that he may never know how a real sparrow looked. I wish we could have sparrows here. But, the ornithologist here say that the mobile towers deter the sparrows from coming anywhere in their vicinity. In our part of the city we have a few hundred mobile towers... I really need to leave the city soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I live out of town, but we really do not see a lot of sparrows here either. What we seem to have a lot of , is the cute little Carolina Wrens. I really enjoy hearing them out in the yard with their distinctive " Cheater, cheater ! " cry.
Actually, that is only one of the things they say, and they seem to have a whole little vocabulary of words, ad they repeat each word over and over, maybe a half dozen times, and then go on to the next word.
We keep bird food out in the feeder, so the Wrens and the Cardinals always have a place to come and eat.

Reaction score
Unfortunately out here we never seem to get any of the swifts swallows or house martins nesting in the south of Tenerife. While in the Greek Isles some years ago house martins seemed to be nesting everwhere, nests built under the eves of most buildings. Every evening I can sit on the balcony and watch one of the species, hard to tell when th're on the wing, ducking and diving as they feed on airborne insects. Maybe they just migrate through Tenerife to nest elswhere.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JittyJohnser

Latest Threads