Something is ripping my flowers clean off.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hope this is the right place to ask about something like this!

So bunch of my perennials mostly the Tulip types are being ripped or cut off right where the stem meets the flower. This is the first bloom over at the east coast and just a few days after they fully bloom something is ripping them clean off. My garden is a safe haven for all kinds of critters and birds so I assume its one of them. Thing is this didnt happen last year or maybe I didnt notice. Now I dont want to kick these creatures out but maybe there is a way to prevent them from going after the garden so much. Issue is my garden is very dense and pretty big.

I dont want to use chemicals, traps. A natural deterrent for certain zones maybe? Things that wont kick out the creatures or hurt them but push them away from certain parts?
Either squirrels or chipmunks or both. Squirrels will completely shred all sorts of flowering plants. We've seen them really go after our sunflowers, "chopping" the heads to bits. We've also had squirrels nip off each one of our still tiny and green pomegranates. Last year they did this and we only had one pomegranate left on the tree. I think maybe putting out bowls of water helps, especially during hot hot weather. But ---- we always have bowls of water and the squirrels still wreak havoc on our plants. Oh --- and we have a bird feeder out back, so the squirrels have access to the seed that falls to the ground (baffles keep squirrels out of the feeder).

The Chipmunks tend to eat berries and succulents, but I'm not surprised if they'd go for flowering plants as well.

If you have squirrels, then you have a real problem. Our property is 100% pesticide-free and trap-free. We don't kill critters of any kind. I hope your garden finds a balance. Maybe try installing a nesting platform for Great-horned owls? Or a Barn owl house? Motion-sensor sprinklers in those "certain zones"? Kestrel nesting box, if you have Kestrels in your area?

Maybe this will be of help: https://nestwatch.org/learn/all-abo...756&utm_content=302112754&utm_source=hs_email

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I hope this is the right place to ask about something like this!

So bunch of my perennials mostly the Tulip types are being ripped or cut off right where the stem meets the flower. This is the first bloom over at the east coast and just a few days after they fully bloom something is ripping them clean off. My garden is a safe haven for all kinds of critters and birds so I assume its one of them. Thing is this didnt happen last year or maybe I didnt notice. Now I dont want to kick these creatures out but maybe there is a way to prevent them from going after the garden so much. Issue is my garden is very dense and pretty big.

I dont want to use chemicals, traps. A natural deterrent for certain zones maybe? Things that wont kick out the creatures or hurt them but push them away from certain parts?
I live in San Francisco, and have a moderate size garden. Two years ago I didn't notice my flowers being decimated, but last year it was rampant. Not only were the flowers being eaten, but the leaves and shoots were being devoured before they got 5 inches tall. Basically I have mice, rats, and squirrels, and maybe an occasional racoon, but that's all.
I tried everything I could possibly try. Lights, peppermint spray, cayenne, and more stuff I can't recall. It seems that tulips are the most preferred varmint meal ever.
Sorry to say this, but I don't think you can keep your flowers without getting rid of the critters. I no longer plant tulips. I switched to daffodils and ranunculus.
Best to you,
janice

Ask a Question