Soap as an insecticide?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I used regular Dawn Dish Soap and water to spray down my orange tree when it was infested with aphids. Worked like a charm. Just be sure not to spray down your plants on a hot sunny day! Always do it either in the early morning or the late evening when the sun isn't shining so brightly. I've killed a couple plants that way...

Thanks for the warning. My bonsai trees are in an area that gets shade in the afternoon, so I presume that once the sun has moved away from that area, it's safe to spray them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
How much soap do you use? I have one of those bottles which I bought for liquid plant foods but I never use it because it was working out too expensive. At the time I was told the soap mixture might clog up the connection, but it's a chance I'm prepared to take if I don't need to spend a fortune on soap to fill it.

I just squirt the about a 1/2" of soap in the bottle then fill with water,it last a good while

Ask a Question