Sloping upward rear garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I am new this forum. I recently moved into a new build and found that the rear garden is sloping upward towards the end. The slop is 1/20, about 1.8 feet (50cm) taller at the rear which already has a 50cm high retaining wall (and with fence) with other house. The garden is about 8m wide and 13m long. Currently it is all turf done by the developer. Any idea or help to cope with this sloping garden? I want to create a patio for BBQ. Should it be at the rear or front of garden? How large should it be? Should I level it? I am afraid it will create a steeper slope with remaining area.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I agree that the terracing idea is a really good one, but I would sus out first where the sun and shade will be most of the time and make the patio terrace wherever that dictates. This might also apply if there is a particularly good view where the seating area is.
Welcome to the forums!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for your advice. The garden rear is facing east. The house is mark in red circle.
Screenshot 2023-05-07 at 9.46.52 PM.png

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, facing West at the far end of the garden would be lovely in the evening, when you will see some sunsets! It would be a bit like sitting in the ''Lords'' if it was levelled up the way headfullofbees suggested. (y) ummm or did I get that the wrong way round?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So, facing West at the far end of the garden would be lovely in the evening, when you will see some sunsets! It would be a bit like sitting in the ''Lords'' if it was levelled up the way headfullofbees suggested. (y) ummm or did I get that the wrong way round?
Here we enjoy the shade in the evening as it gets so hot. We are already pushing up near 31C today!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Really thanks for all advice. I need to wait until end of next spring to see what will happen to garden soil. According to several neighbours, they experienced soil cogged by 250-500mm of water due to clay under their garden. Some neighbours are now promised by developer to dig up their gardens to bed some gravels/sand with drainage pipe to work around the problem.

Ask a Question