Skunks

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello beautiful gardening people, I’m wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and how they have dealt with it… I have skunks trying to get under a shed that is surrounded by a garden bed. We have dug it up last year, put down netting and covered it up with about a foot of soil and plantings.. Skunks seem to be trying to get back in as they are digging up exactly where the entrance was to their den last year. They have literally dug up the daffodils, tulips and ivy that I have tried to grow in that bed. Does anyone know of anything I can do to stop them?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
My solution is outdoor dogs. They are effective on skunks but definitely need to be outside after skunk encounters.... the product called "Pooph" is effective when those dogs need to be allowed back inside.

sugarapsa

Zone 7b
Reaction score
Country
United States
I had a terrible time with skunks when I first started raising chickens. I installed a 1" square hardwire apron at the base of my coops placed in an "L" shape, nailed a couple inches up at the base of coop, and at least 2' buried slightly, just under the surface in an L shape. Skunks will only dig at the base of whatever they are trying to get into so 2' is plenty.

Do not use chicken wire or nylon netting. Skunks will rip that to shreds.

Last edited:

Ask a Question