Skunks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Does anyone have effective control or repellent ideas for skunks? I have fences and walls around the yard and plugged holes underneath the fences, but they still get in. How well do striped skunks climb? Is there anything else that might work?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You bet they can climb, not like squirrels but pretty close. They can also climb a 5 foot chicken wire fence, get inside and kill chickens. Skunks are opportunistic, they like to eat just about anything that is offered them. Garbage and pet food left out are two of their favorites. Their natural diet is insects like roaches, grub worms in you lawn etc. When these foods are no longer there they will move on to tastier locations, but not if anything is left that they like, UNLESS they are actually living there. They love to live under elevated buildings, in walls of sheds and in old abandoned cars. Whenever I have had skunk problems I found out later that they were actually living very close by. I found out by accident that they absolutely hate the smell of oranges/citrus. I was killing fire ants with orange oil (d-limonene) and was pouring the stuff as a drench over ant mounds which were everywhere. I guess it became too much of an odor because a momma skunk and her 4 little one scampered off out of the area before it became dark outside and unfortunately my two dogs spotted them and you can guess the rest of that story. Ever since that memorable day whenever I see little dug up areas in my garden or lawn I know it is either skunks or armadillos and armadillos make larger and more numerous holes than do skunks. I bring out the orange oil and spray everything and everywhere they might be but just keeping the area devoid of anything to eat is the best remedy for them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck. I know it's not living in my yard but there's a lot of homes around me that aren't well maintained and the critters have lots of options. I'll try the citrus scent although being Riverside "The Home of the Parent Navel Orange" I'm not sure that will work. :LOL: Almost every house has some sort of citrus in it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck. I know it's not living in my yard but there's a lot of homes around me that aren't well maintained and the critters have lots of options. I'll try the citrus scent although being Riverside "The Home of the Parent Navel Orange" I'm not sure that will work. :LOL: Almost every house has some sort of citrus in it.
What are the skunks doing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Mostly they eat(ate) birdseed on the ground and rooted around in a big mulched bed. We've stopped spreading the seed.
If no seed no skunks. And they are looking for grubs and worms in the mulched bed but after they have been there a few times they will know nothing to eat is there and not stop and dig around. You might spray Orange Oil there too.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No experience of skunks in England, but I do like the idea that they can be put off with a scent :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They apparently don't like the smell of their spray and won't spray in their dens.
I think I found its last access point on the ground and blocked. So far 3 nights and no skunk. At least when I've looked out. we also put out a little seed to see if it disappears. Still there and birds are happy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They apparently don't like the smell of their spray and won't spray in their dens.
I think I found its last access point on the ground and blocked. So far 3 nights and no skunk. At least when I've looked out. we also put out a little seed to see if it disappears. Still there and birds are happy.
Their spray is a defensive mechanism only. Years ago I knew someone who had an indoor pet skunk.....unfixed. It could spray if it wanted to. It never sprayed in the house but if a stray dog wandered too close it could and did. They are actually a pretty clean animal as far as I could tell.

Ask a Question