Silage tarp over perennial garden?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have about 10 40’ raised loam rows fills with perennials , full grown , bulbs, new seed . Overcome with weeds . Could I put a silage tarp or landscape on now over winter to kill of weeds or will excessive heat kill my flowers too ? Thanks for any advice !

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Don't cover your plants with a tarp. Solarization is intended for beds that have yet to be planted. Also it should be done during warm weather, not during Winter.

However do explain your situation more fully, and please include photographs.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Don't cover your plants with a tarp. Solarization is intended for beds that have yet to be planted. Also it should be done during warm weather, not during Winter.

However do explain your situation more fully, and please include photographs.
Thank you very much I obtained a piece of property that was 1.7 acres underneath transmission power lines so unbuildable . Always wanted a bigger garden and space for my cord wood . Was covered with 100 percent bittersweet so scraped all of it down to bank gravel and laid down about a foot of wood chips . Then laid down cardboard under the rows and dumped about 10-12” of loam in each row . Laid down alot of perennial wildflower seed and it came out great but weeds are overtaking . I am a patient hardworking guy but way more weeds than I can pull . Thought about rototillomfcbut that will put more seeds into soil. Last week I planted many more bulbs and laid down more perennial seeds to fill in the gaps . Any other way you think of tossing the native crabgrass weeds let me know , so thankful for ure response

Reaction score
Country
United States
Don't try to do it all at once. Weed the worst weedsaway form your best plants and do more gradually, as time permits. Also mulch with cardboard and wood-chips (or bark) in bare spots and with only wood-chips around new and established plants. This alone doesn't prevent all weeds, but it reduces the number to more manageable amounts. To some extent you can choose your weeds. Remove the worst ones and let the better ones (uncluding annual wildflowers) take over. Weeds in manageable amounts do have benefits, including increased biomass, soil friability and pollinator/beneficial insect food and habitat.

Ask a Question