Should I get saucers for my pots?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
On our patios, we've some plastic pots on saucers and glazed pots on pot movers.
At the moment, the plastic saucers are reversed, so water doesn't gather in them.
When the weather gets warm, I put the pots the right way round, so they can retain some water.

With the pot movers, I drilled a hole in the bottom, so presently water will drain out of them. When the weather starts to warm, I put a dab of silicone over the hole, so they retain water.

I find this necessary, as all pots on the patios can quickly dry out in hot weather.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
On our patios, we've some plastic pots on saucers and glazed pots on pot movers.
At the moment, the plastic saucers are reversed, so water doesn't gather in them.
When the weather gets warm, I put the pots the right way round, so they can retain some water.

With the pot movers, I drilled a hole in the bottom, so presently water will drain out of them. When the weather starts to warm, I put a dab of silicone over the hole, so they retain water.

I find this necessary, as all pots on the patios can quickly dry out in hot weather.

I see its always the local microclimate that matters. It is March and we have already had weeks with daytime high temps in the low to mid 80s (f). Saucers with a low edge work well here across most of the year because with the least wind even those temps dry things out rapidly

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
depends on the plant growing and what its sitting on. I find that any pots directly on the ground gets ants to move in to them. If on the deck, the circle screws up the deck, so I at least elevate the pot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think you mean "cheap scape" not cheap skate lol I use to always say that too.
No, skate, nineteenth century slang for an undesirable person. Mind you I spelled it wrong, it should be all one word, but I noticed after I had posted, 'cheapskate'.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I deliberately try and get my containers on earth - ideally with bigger than normal holes drilled in them. This gives all the benefits of letting the roots go down if they want to, but you can just tear the roots away and move the container without any lasting damage to the plants.

But when I can't do that I like to use saucers for watering purposes. It's hard to keep small containers moist enough when it's dry.
For anyone in the UK, I found a cheap alternative for standing smaller pots on. These boot trays are selling for about £2 each in Homebargains. You can fit around 3 x 10 - 12 inch pots on each.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
One word fills me with fear of holes....nematode. I truly hate them but know they play a part in the grand scheme so I practice scheme avoidance.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
One word fills me with fear of holes....nematode. I truly hate them ...

There is absolutely no need to fear nematodes...cover crops w/Sunn Hemp in summer and/or Elbon rye in winter completely eliminate them as a problem in my soils.

I'm planning on putting pots (20L) around the border of my garden on top of the grass since I can't plant in the ground. As long as they have holes in the bottom will they be okay or should I get some saucers to put underneath them?

Yes, they will be fine. The saucers are needed only IMO for indoor plants where you need to catch the water run-off.

Ask a Question