Share your germination stories please!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
right now the seeds, planted last summer are in a long planter with good soil. just waiting for anything to appear.

They more or less germinated 1 or 2 weeks after sowing. But I have never sown direct, so I can't share any ideas!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I have parsley seedlings after waiting, and waiting. I know parsley is slow to germinate, but good heavens, define "slow"!
The basil just didn't come up, and basil is one of the easiest herbs to grow. The few that came up were, gasp!, sage! Bad seed from a previously unused supplier. Darn!
I have six rose cuttings rooted and in quart pots, and I'm hovering over them like a mother hen. With our colder than usual winter the roots developed more slowly than usual, but they did root and are seemingly happy in their pots.
Propagation ain't for the faint of heart.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Strangely enough, my parsley germinate quite readily. The seeds might be old. I raised them from seeds last year and they are still here despite the snow.

With weather this cold and slugs everywhere, I took quite a few plants indoors. My salad leaves are now indoors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
But nothing is happening. I stratified them on 6 of January. This is my worst batch. I have only a tiny nursery and everywhere else is baking hot. My nursery bed is taken up with hellebores, meconopsis and Trollius Chinensis. I need to work out where to take them.

SR: You mean you just plant them out without seeing the radicles?

Yup, if they are going to grow they will do it whether you are watching or not. I planted 6 seeds in the ground and 6 seeds in potting soil just 2 weeks ago. I can already tell you which location will have the most success. ;)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
OK. @Silentrunning Please describe the successful location and I will see where I can put them out. As the mercury will hit 24c here tomorrow, I need to do it when it drops a bit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I went to the top authority on growing maples when I received my seeds - Mother Nature. I walked my property extensively to see where most of the indigenous Maple seedlings were sprouting. I found that the highest concentrations were on the edges of established forest and cleared lawn. They sprouted best in thinner leaf cover, not thick. They were especially abundant by the creeks running through the property. This is where I planted the seeds. I made a frame and covered it with hardware cloth so they can receive maximum sunlight and rain but be protected from animals. The ones that do sprout will live there for 2 years and then be dug up for bonsai training or planted in the front yard or sold.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, sometimes, insight and intuition count more than reading books. Growing anything is a configuration of a lot of ingredients. Now where can I find this creek? LOL!

Ask a Question