Rich organic fertilizer

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I have been researching on soil supplements and have come across a method for making a rich organic fertilizer. You put weeds and leaf clippings in polythene bags. Moisten with water, then tie the top leaving an opening for gases to escape. In one month you will have a rich manure liked that of a cow. No nutrients have been removed unlike in cow manure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I do have many bags of leaves and weeds so I might give this a try. I bet the smell is a lot better than what I usually use (mushroom compost)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I'll try to do it too. Interestingly, it is possible to add special bacteria to speed up the compost? These bacteria are sold in gardens- store as a liquid and a powder.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'll try to do it too. Interestingly, it is possible to add special bacteria to speed up the compost? These bacteria are sold in gardens- store as a liquid and a powder.
Add nitrogen to speed it up a bit. You can buy bloodmeal from pretty much any garden store. Also shredding everything helps

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I have been researching on soil supplements and have come across a method for making a rich organic fertilizer. You put weeds and leaf clippings in polythene bags. Moisten with water, then tie the top leaving an opening for gases to escape. In one month you will have a rich manure liked that of a cow. No nutrients have been removed unlike in cow manure.

Gee, this is the first time I've heard of that trick. It looks like a good way of making fertilizer because I'd say it is clean unlike the compost in the soil that is somewhat contaminated. Our compost bin have a lot of insect sometimes and last month we even found some eggs of termites, huh. But anyway, that is a neat trick using a plastic bag. Maybe I can try that for experience. Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
The best fertilizer I've tried is vermicompost (worm poop). You can add it to your plants without worrying too much about quantities,since it wont harm them (100% organic). You can get it in any garden supplies store. You can also build your own worm farm so you never run out of fertilizer and at the same time you recycle your waste.

Ask a Question